For Christmas we do four gifts for the girls - I've seen this floating around the WWW the past couple of years, and this was the second year we did it. I love it. "Something they want. Something they need. Something to wear. Something to read." It gives me direction and keeps me from going overboard.
So, for the something to wear category, I didn't want to get another outfit for them. They have plenty. So, I had been searching the internet for cute wipeable craft aprons for the girls and coming up short. Even on Etsy, which does not usually fail me. So, I figured I could make them myself.
And, it turned out to be so easy and fun that I thought I should share. Here's what you need.
Fabric (one kid's apron would only need about half a yard of fabric)
Double fold Bias Tape in a coordinating color
And this stuff that I recently found that is a game changer -
Heat n' Bond.
It's magical. You iron it on to fabric, and that fabric becomes water resistant and wipeable. Slicky. Just what I was looking for. The Heat n' Bond is 17 inches wide, so I let that be the determining factor in how wide the apron would be. For the aprons I made, I cut the fabric 26 inches long and 17 inches wide. Then, I ironed the Heat n' Bond onto the fabric following the directions on the packaging.
I was looking to make these the easiest way possible, and after googling a few tutorials, this is what I came up with. I cut the corners off the top. I used the 60° angle line on my fabric cutting mat, but you could eye it and come up with something that worked for you.
(This is showing how I lined it up on the mat for the second line - you can see that the first corner had already been cut off by this point.)
Then, it was time to hem all the sides. I ironed the edges folded over twice and then sewed. The vinyl is remarkably easy to sew over, which I was pleased to discover.
I did the two long sides, then the bottom, then the top seam. The diagonal lines were the last ones I waited to sew, because I wanted to leave it open on each end as a casing.
I decided to use bias tape, and I sewed a zig zag line on it to keep it together. This seemed to be the easiest option.
Then, I strung the bias tape through the casing using a safety pin to push it through, which makes the apron adjustable.
And that revealed my finished product. The girls loved these!
If you want to do this and have questions - please ask! I know this little tutorial may not make a ton of sense.