Monday, May 13, 2013

FOREVER FAMILY

This morning we loaded ourselves and our four children into our Swagger Wagon and headed to the Conway Courthouse for a hearing that would make our adoption legal, final and binding.  We did a private, attorney-assisted adoption.  There was an agency involved that our lawyer had contracted with to take legal custody of the twins once their birth-mother signed the paperwork.  That agency passed off guardianship to us immediately, which allowed us to visit them at the hospital and have them be discharged from the hospital to us.

Today, they officially became William Joshua Spenst and Violet Ann Spenst.  Forever.

The hearing took all of 14 minutes.  John and I both testified about the facts of who we are, as well as the understanding we have that adoption is permanent and legally binding.  Then, the judge took some time to tell us that adoptions are the most rewarding thing he does as a judge.  He also said some really kind things about the kind of people that we are (very overstated, honestly), and I had tears pouring down my cheeks.

And then it was done.  We took this picture with the judge.  Instead of the airport pictures I thought we would have, we have a Conway Courtroom picture.

IMG_3358

To see what God has worked here is truly life-changing and amazing.  He has entrusted these precious lives into our care, and we are all forever changed.

As we were getting paper-work filed with the clerk, one of the women asked if I had gone to Crestwood Elementary School.  Yes, yes I did.  It was a woman that had worked there and recognized me.  She said, "You were an over-achiever in elementary school, and it looks as if you have kept that up."  I had to laugh.  I was also really amazed that she recognized me, but she pointed out that I "look the exact same."  It is a small, funny world, and today it was filled with warm people that were truly thrilled for our family and rejoicing with us.  What a blessing.

Thanks for reading along and praying for our children and cheering us on.  I am continuing to tear up as I think about the ways that God has surrounded us by his people that have all helped make this possible through their prayers.  Violet and William are living proof that God is mightily at work in our midst.  He has a plan for all of us, and I am in awe of what he has already done.  I hope and pray that we continue to cling to the Lord as a family, and I know we will always be able to mark this experience as an ebenezer in our lives - a place where we could clearly see God's faithfulness.

We are now and forever family for William and Violet, and we could not be more thankful.

3 comments:

Meaghan said...

Congrats! I have loved watching as your adoption story has unfolded, not as you imagined, but just right for your family! What a beautiful family! :)

Anonymous said...

SO HAPPY FOR Y'ALL!!!! Adoption is a wonderful gift for the entire family. May God continue to bless you, and I look forward to seeing your family blossom.

Unknown said...

Congratulations! Violet and William are blessed to have you all as their family!