Friday, May 03, 2013

THE NEW NORMAL

This week has been a bit wild.  John has needed to work quite a bit, so it has felt even wilder than it would already feel.  I am trying to adjust to the new normal, and I feel like I am not planning well or getting it figured out quick enough.  But, we are trying.

I have figured out that the big girls need some sense of normalcy and routine.  Especially since we moved them into the same room, and they have been partying late into the night, you know, like 9:30.  They seriously love it, and I love that they love it, but I will be glad when some of the shiny fun of it wears off and they sleep longer.  They need it.  You know what I mean.

So today, we headed to the hospital to say Good Morning to our babies.  After about 45 minutes there, we headed to Build a Bear at the mall to make stuffed animals for William and Violet.  I was right when I thought this would be a fun thing for the girls that was also about welcoming our siblings.

IMG_3247
IMG_3254

With a little guidance from me so we didn't end up with a tie-dyed Hello Kitty or neon My Little Pony, Lily made "Sophie" the cat (Helmicks, I think I know where she got this :)) for Violet, and Bella made "Ruff" the dog for William.  A big hit all around.

This afternoon I took advantage of a kind friend offering to keep the girls and spent a little time at the hospital by myself cuddling the babies.  It has hit me that I am really ready for them to come home.  I know it will be hard in many ways to be caring for them on our own, but I'm ready for them to feel like they need me.  I cherish the little snuggle time I do get with them.

Untitled

John came home for a quick dinner, and we headed back to the hospital.  The girls were so excited to deliver the stuffed animals.

Untitled

So excited, in fact, that as soon as we got into the room, they were both rushing their animal to the appropriate sibling and trying to stuff it into a bed with a baby.

Untitled
IMG_3269
IMG_3270

Sophie the cat did not make it through that little hole.  She landed on top of the incubator, and Ruff landed on the crib railing.

IMG_3273
IMG_3274

John had William out, and the girls were fascinated to see him.  Lily was trying to measure him.

IMG_3272

When the nurse changed his bed blanket, she let the girls have a NICU picnic on it.  They were in heaven.

IMG_3275

Then it was time for Violet to get weighed, and Bella was quite interested.

Untitled

And while we had Violet out and unhooked, our sweet nurse kindly agreed to take our "first family of six all together in one picture" picture.  It totally cracks me up, mainly Lily and Bella's faces, but also Sophie the cat photo-bombing.

IMG_3277

This new life is a wild adventure.  When I start to think or talk about all that is happening right now, it sounds very overwhelming.  But, by God's enormous grace, we are making it one day at a time.  We really can only ever look to him for strength, because we certainly don't have enough of it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love that last picture :) Having two girls (1 and 3), I can't imagine adding twins to the mix. It looks like you will have it all together, though, with God's help. Those babies are so adorable... I've wanted to adopt a baby for years and seeing these photos just makes me want to even more. Definitely going to ask the hubs to at least consider praying about it.

John and Janel Breitenstein said...

Awesome. So excited for you guys. Love that crazy cat.