Wednesday, May 29, 2013

TIMERS

I knew that having newborns would take me back to a rigorous schedule for feeding and pretty much everything else.  Thankfully, there's an app for that, and I keep track of feedings, diapers and baths on my phone for the twins.  It helps me to know what they might be upset about.

Untitled

This is how it goes:  Oh - you are crying again.  Let's check the app.  It tells me that you haven't eaten in 1 hour and 45 minutes.  I can imagine that your stomach is probably eating itself right now, and I will find it in my heart to feed you again.  Your brother may not be crying right this second, but he won't be far behind, so we will go ahead and feed him too.

Or:  You seem to be fussing about something.  Has it really been 5 hours since your last diaper change?  I bet that is uncomfortable.  Let me take care of that.

Or:  You have curdled milk in your neck rolls again.  Really?  You weigh less than 6 lbs, how do you even have neck rolls?  Let's see how long it has been since your last bath.  Whoops!  It's been longer than it should be.  Why is your mother so terrible at baby baths?  Glad that you guys get wiped down really frequently.  Let's get out the baby tub and bubble you up.

I always, always, always feed the babies at the same time.  This has helped us keep some sense of order in the day and night.  And, they are growing like little champs.  I am excited to go back to the doctor next week and see what they weigh.  I am fairly confident that they are packing on the ounces, and since that is one of the major indicators of success at this stage, it feels good that they are doing so well.

But, the timer thing has got me a little tripped out.  It has made me realize that we are all on timers of sorts.  Each time I love on or cuddle Lily or Bella, it is like I am resetting the timer on that need for them.  They need that touch and affirmation regularly, and the time is always ticking on that need and many others.  Like eating.  They always seem to be hungry, as if I don't feed them regularly.

I have my own sets of timers, and since they have been thrown wildly out of whack since the arrival of twins in our home, I am having to adjust the ways I see my own.  I don't "need" as much down time as I would want.  I do need to stay in touch with John, and we will have to fight harder than ever to make that a reality in this season.  (That reminded me that I needed to text a sitter about a date night.  We need grown-up time together without all the little friends.)

And what I am grateful for above all else is that God will cover where I cannot.  I cannot do it all or be it all.  The onslaught of needs is a bit intense.  But, God knows what each of us needs, and he will continue to give us his grace and strength to press-on.  He has been so gracious to us, and I know that he won't stop now.

5 comments:

Morgan Smith said...

oh man i can relate to this post so much, and i don't have two newborns in the house. loved holding violet today:)))

Morgan Smith said...

oh man i can relate to this post so much, and i don't have two newborns in the house. loved holding violet today:)))

Darcy said...

What is the app you are using please? I'd love to try it when our little one arrives any day now. :-)

Carol said...

The app is called Total Baby - it has been great and worth the money.

Darcy said...

Thanks so much!!