Thursday, June 27, 2013

THINGS I HAVE FORGOTTEN THIS WEEK

Well, friends - people keep asking how the adjustment to four kids is going, and I keep telling them that it is going pretty well.  You know, we have hard moments, but overall, it is going well.  We are starting to get more sleep.  The babies are healthy and growing, and the big girls love them.  We have nothing to complain about, and life is good.

Untitled

Oh - except one thing.  I have one tiny little complaint that is currently plaguing my life.  I am losing my mind.  Seriously - I have always been a fairly organized person able to function in society, and right now, I would question all of those assumptions I normally make about myself.  Here's a rundown of things I have forgotten just this week alone.

-  When I went grocery shopping this week, this time with twins in tow but not the big girls, I realized that I had forgotten my wallet.  AGAIN.  Thankfully, I knew where it was this time (in the car), and I could go and get it quickly (while the Kroger staff watched the sleeping babies in the cart with all the groceries).

-  When I went to the pool with friends, I apparently had forgotten how careful you must not be to spill Baba Ganoush.  I managed to spill it AGAIN.  Thankfully, this time it was in a chair at the pool, and though this meant that I was actually sitting in it after the spill occurred (I will spare you a picture of that that I didn't take), it also meant the clean up was dramatically better.  Especially since a friend did it for me - thanks, Nicole.

Untitled

-  Yesterday, I cooked a meal for the first time since we brought home babies.  Seriously - we had the great blessing of having meals delivered until just this week, which was incredibly gracious and amazing of our kind friends.  And yesterday, while I was cooking, I realized I had forgotten how challenging it is to prepare a full blown meal (we were hosting community group), when you keep having to stop and feed babies in the middle of it.  You have to add a lot of time to it, because sadly, Bella will only do this for a few moments - not a whole bottle's worth of time.

Untitled

-  Today, I left my phone at home.  I came back for it and did a few other things.  Upon leaving the house and driving about 5 minutes, I realized that I had left the diaper bag that I had just packed at home.  Back to the house I went.  AGAIN.

-  I had forgotten how sore you actually get when you do a real workout.  I am reaping the consequences of yesterday's workout today, and I especially dread going downstairs.

-  Today, I had packed the girls' bags for Mother's Day Out, only to forget those in the car.

-  When I headed in to Target on Tuesday to do a return, I realized that I had left the item I was there to return in my car.  Are you sensing a theme here?  I think I must feel victory to just get the kids all out of the car and thought of anything else goes completely out of my head.

-  I am sure that there are a host of things that I am forgetting that I have forgotten.  Since that is the name of the game these days, no one should be that surprised by this.

As I was lamenting this at lunch today with friends, my dear friend who also has four young kids encouraged me that it will get better.  I will not forget something big everyday.  I will learn the new drill and not always be leaving things in the car or at the house.  I am learning a new skill set, and it will get better.  I certainly need it to, because at this rate, my trips to and from the car and the house are going to eat up every last bit of time that I never had to start with.

1 comments:

Krista Hutton said...

Carol, I don't know you personally, but am in small group and friends with Mike and Ashley. I gotta say that I just love reading your posts and catching up with your adorable family. I get some cute stories from Ashley sometimes too. Let me just tell you, as a fellow mama of 4 under 5, it will get better:) One week at a time. My baby is now 5 months old, but I think about those first few months after I brought him home. Our family, and house still often resembles a circus, but it's the best circus I can imagine:) And you are not alone....I am always forgetting something! But my motto is....if I have all 4 of my children, I'm doing something right!! That's all that really matters. So keep going! You are doing a fabulous job and you have a beautiful family!!