The last time we came to Colorado was three years and three children ago - you can see pictures here. We had a great time, but for a variety of reasons, we haven't made it back. And after stopping into Pueblo for three nights, we headed to Estes Park, entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park to enjoy the mountains.
We are staying in a cabin near town, which makes life more convenient than a hotel for sure. The girls enjoyed having the run of the place as we checked it out. Lily showed off her rock and pine cone arranging skills, while Bella enjoyed being able to climb on a chair and peek in the kitchen window.


Last night when we arrived and after we got everyone in bed and/or settled, John and I got to run into town to grab groceries and dessert. Always a treat sans kiddos. The sunset behind the mountains was such a sweet treat from the Lord.


First stop this morning - The Donut Haus. Oh such tasty treats dwell here. I think we are headed there tomorrow morning as well.

Next stop - Fun City. Several years ago, on our Canada trip, we learned the difference between a Vacation and a Family Trip. Vacations usually don't involve children. Family Trips begin to revolve around children. Fun City proves that stance, because it is not somewhere we would ever choose to go without children involved. But - the girls enjoyed the massive slide.
And, we played a round of about 9 holes of mini-golf, which was mostly really fun. Until Bella's ball was taken forever at the end, which was obviously cause for major freaking out.
As I am typing this all out, I am realizing that we *may* have squeezed too much into today. It was fun, but we are pretty wiped out. Also, I forgot sunscreen, which officially makes the the bad mom whose kids have pink cheeks and arms. We lunched at Lily Lake, and then walked around it.
This chipmunk had a gnarly beard.
This next picture cracks me up, because literally a minute before, Bella had been screaming, scratching, and fighting getting put into this baby backpack. Until she was in. Then, she was fine. That's enough to make parents feel crazy.
We came home for naps, which was a nice respite.
Then, we headed back out to drive Trail Ridge Road - one of the single most beautiful places I've ever been. It feels other-worldly, and I love it.
I got the girls a camera to play with, as a way to encourage them to enjoy being in more of the pictures I take. Selfish reasoning, I know, but they are loving it.
We saw several marmots, which may just be one of the cuddliest looking creatures ever.
This was our go at a family picture at Trail Ridge Road. The sun was too bright, but there we all are. All six of us with some of God's most beautiful creation surrounding us. John and I have talked several times about what a thrill it is to share this all with our children. Lily and Bella have been transfixed by the "Big Snow Mountains."
All in all, it is going pretty well. There are hairy moments right and left with four kiddos, and we often feel like we are playing whack-a-mole. But - it is worth it, and we are thankful for this time with family, enjoying the beauty God put on the Earth for us that constantly declares his glory.
























0 comments:
Post a Comment