Tuesday, September 22, 2015

EVEN SO, COME LORD JESUS

A couple of weeks ago, I went to the women's Fall Gathering at our church.  It was a great night of worship and good teaching out of the book of Revelation.  That night and a few other things have had me thinking about what it would look like to be living in the "end times."

Untitled
(amazing chalk art for the event by my dear, talented friend Lindsay!)

I have realized a couple of things.  First off - its easy for me to glibly say that I am ready for Jesus to come back.  That certainly seems like an easy answer to things, because the reality is that life on earth is hard.  It is full of suffering and injustice and pain at every turn.  I know that Jesus promises to put things right and redeem all that is broken, and I do long for that day.  The day when there will be no more tears or sorrow or death.  Oh, glory hallelujah - what a day that will be!

But when I dig a little deeper, I find a couple of unpleasant surprises.  I'm not sure if you've read or studied the book of Revelation, but there are some pretty awful things described therein.  To be honest, I get fearful about the idea of living on Earth while those prophecies are fulfilled, and the idea of walking through some of those circumstances with children is downright terrifying.  It ends well, but the build up to the end is pretty intense and also hard to figure out.  So many different things could happen.

The other unpleasant surprise is that I find myself wanting to cling to my little life.  I want to throw the parties for my kids that I am currently planning and see them grow up and get to experience all that life has and travel more and have fun, because for as bad as life can be at times, there are plenty of joys, and it is all I really know.  I'm more firmly entrenched in my earthly pursuits that I would have wanted to admit to myself before I really started thinking.  Status quo seems easier than really and truly looking forward to Jesus coming back for us.

But I believe that Jesus will be coming for us, whether it be sometime this month or sometime this millennia.  He's allowing more time for people to come to him, and that is all for his glory and our good.  It's been a good reminder to make sure I am fixing my eyes on him instead of on things that will pass away.  I always seem to need that reminder.  Even so, Come Lord Jesus.

0 comments: