Being in Honduras was really good, but it had some really heavy moments. This blog post from Rage Against the Minivan sums up a lot of what I am feeling. Going to a 3rd world country is always an eye-opening reality, but since I have had that shock several times, the shock has worn off. Now, I have a greater understanding that this is reality for the majority of the world, and my little life in America is the real anomaly. I am thankful to be partnered with organizations that are making a difference in people's lives here and around the world.
Here are some of my lighter lessons learned from this past week.
- Leaving my children for the week was worth it, and I would encourage other young mothers to do the same if the opportunity arises. It was great to be known as myself for a week, and to have a chance to focus on things outside of my home. Jenn and I (the other "mom" on the trip and one of my very best friends) had a great time serving together.
- I learned how to tease my hair from a girl that names her combs. That made me really happy.
- Riding in a bus with the windows down will make anything you have done to your hair completely pointless. See exhibit A.
Exhibit A
- Wearing scrubs every day is a luxury. They are so comfortable!
- It really is okay for my girls not to match. I had to laugh when I got this picture text from John of the girls at the Museum of Discovery. They look bright, well-cared-for and happy - which is more important than being coordinated.
- I have the world's best Mom-in-love who was willing to come help John care for the girls. Really, it is a win-win-win. In a beautiful twist of fate, I ran into her at the Houston airport, and I was so thankful to hug her neck in person and thank her for taking such good care of my family.
- Bella is on a personal mission in life to destroy almost anything she touches. This was reinforced when we had to pull out the vacuum twice in about 40 minutes on the first morning I was home, as well as stop her from coloring on our bedspread and couch. Here's what she did to John's floss while I was gone. (This picture text was accompanied by John saying, "I bet you are really missing stuff like this right now.")
- There is nothing more American than nachos with processed cheese in the airport on the way back. My lunch of champions.

I have been trying to recover from this trip quickly and soak up time with the girls. I had forgotten the way they felt in my arms during my week away, and I love cuddling their sweetness. Now I am trying to clean our house and prepare for our next adventure!
- Bella is on a personal mission in life to destroy almost anything she touches. This was reinforced when we had to pull out the vacuum twice in about 40 minutes on the first morning I was home, as well as stop her from coloring on our bedspread and couch. Here's what she did to John's floss while I was gone. (This picture text was accompanied by John saying, "I bet you are really missing stuff like this right now.")
- There is nothing more American than nachos with processed cheese in the airport on the way back. My lunch of champions.

I have been trying to recover from this trip quickly and soak up time with the girls. I had forgotten the way they felt in my arms during my week away, and I love cuddling their sweetness. Now I am trying to clean our house and prepare for our next adventure!










0 comments:
Post a Comment