To be honest, it snuck up on us. The doctor actually looked at me this morning and asked if I wanted to stay tonight. I passed on that so that we could plan just a tiny bit more. My sis Ellen is coming (and bringing True!) to help us with the girls and the transition, and my mom will come later in the week after Ellen leaves. As life goes, next week is slated to be one of the busiest ever at our restaurant, and the week will be capped off by the Walk for the Waiting. We also go to court to formalize the adoption. Adding babies seems par for the course.
Obviously, we are thrilled to be bringing them home. Living life that includes many regular trips to the hospital is wearing. Giving up the care at night will be hard, and we will have a learning curve as we bring home two close to the same time.
Today a good friend that I have known for always stopped by the hospital. She is a twin, and she has a set of boy/girl twins that are now three. She was full of useful twin tips (such as mixing up a day's worth of formula in a pitcher instead of mixing individual bottles) and also showered us with a massive stash of premie/newborn twin clothes. Thanks so much, Laura!

The pool I went to while growing up had a high dive, and I remember what it was like to look over that edge preparing to jump. After climbing up so many rungs and bouncing out over the water, it was nerve-wracking. I knew there was really only the one way down. Climbing down the ladder was more dangerous (at least that is what they told us), than jumping.
And the 12 foot deep water spread below me. I knew once I jumped in, I would feel shocked and wouldn't be able to breathe until I surfaced. It would take a while to get to the air. I had to know which way was up and kick towards that.
This feels very similar. We are about to jump into the deep end, and I am not sure how long it will take until we know up from down and are able to breathe again. I want to prepare for the worst and hope for the best, but I know that no matter what, they will need to eat every. three. hours. Living life in those increments again is a little daunting, but I do know that in the grand scheme of things, it will pass quickly. We will break the surface and be able to breathe again, but I don't know how long that will take.
What I do know, with great certainty, is that these children are ours, and we are theirs, and I am excited to be together as a family of six at home. I love being able to have seen God's hand so clearly and know this is the exact path he has for us to walk. He will equip us for it each step of the way, and for that, I am thankful in advance. He's oh so good.
Here's the current twin staging area - our dining room table. It will certainly feel crazy at our house for a while as we try to get adjusted and get stuff into new places.

This table is another example of God's provision for us - these are all things that have been given to us. We have received one blessing after another, and I am so thankful to God and to friends and to the hospital for their graciousness.
Ready. Set. Jump.






3 comments:
I love your analogy of the diving. I feel very similar with us about to have baby #3. Probably not as daunting as bringing home newborn twins, but daunting nonetheless. And yes, going back to the every 3 hrs routine makes me tired just thinking about it. if it's any consolation, I'll be praying for you as I am up in the wee morning hours too. :)
We used our dining room table for everything we needed to have within reach when baby Gilbert was born suddenly. I kept telling myself that I could find places for that stuff later, but for then it was convenient to have it spread out and available :)
Love the analogy of diving. Praying you find the surface soon!
Post a Comment