Friday, January 02, 2015

2015: LET THE RE-GROUPING BEGIN

As I mentioned in my Adios, 2014 post, we are a bit on the worn out side.  I feel like we are starting out 2015 at a crawl.  For the first time ever, midnight on New Year's Eve found us in bed, sound asleep.  We watched the ball drop in New York (and by "watched the ball drop", I mean that John saw the ball drop and I slept through it with my head on his lap) and then headed for bed.

We were wild.

A quick glance around our house would reveal that we are about a quarter of the way through cleaning up Christmas.  We've been at home a lot this week, and there are toys strewn about in odd places.  There are returned Christmas cards that need to be re-sent, but I haven't mustered the resolve, especially since we are way past Christmas at this point.  I went to the grocery store with all four kiddos and managed to *not* get bread, milk or eggs, all of which we needed.  Violet and I have been doing her breathing treatments 3 times a day, which is no fun for anyone involved.  That's what this week has held.

As we look ahead, we are hoping for a bit more "stability" in 2015 - we will be trying not to add anything more significant this year.  In 2013, we added two more children to our family.  In 2014, we added another restaurant.  In 2015, we would like to add nothing.  I know that we do not get all of the say in this - I know that we are at God's mercy for all things, good and bad.  But - I do know that we will not be actively seeking anything out.

We will be trying to regroup.  Actually, as I look at what I hope 2015 holds, it seems like it will be a lot of "re"-doing.  On the shallow side of life, I'd love to redecorate some areas of our home.  Some things feel a bit tired and are wanting a refresh.  This house is the first place that we have lived long enough to get the chance to re-do parts of it that we already did the first time.  Our free-standing restaurant will also be getting a mini refresh - though, thankfully, we are not in charge of it.  I can't believe it's been open almost 8 years!

On a more personal note, John and I are looking to reconnect a bit this year.  The last couple of years have been exhausting and leave us needing a refresh, and we will get to celebrate our 10th anniversary. We already have a trip on the books, and we are very much looking forward to it!  We'd also like to slow down a bit and re-align our family time.  John and I both have a bent toward productivity, and it might be nice to get slightly less "stuff done" and have slightly more time together as a family.

Spiritually, I'd like to reapply myself to God's word.  I think that the fact that I've been a Christian for most of my life helps me take the Bible for granted.  I'm praying to see it in a fresh light this year and spend more time studying it.

Honestly, I really don't know what all this year will hold.  I'm sure there will be healthy doses of good and bad, like most years.  At the end of the day, I really want to serve God more with my heart and life.  I'm hoping and praying that he will work in and through our hearts and lives to make us more like him.  I realize anew each day how selfish I really am.  I love myself, and rooting that out of my life is a daily battle that I often lose.  Only God can win it, and I'm praying that in 2015, there will be a few more victories.

Let the re-grouping begin.

0 comments: