Tuesday, August 04, 2015

14 ON 3: A DAY IN THE WINDING DOWN SUMMER LIFE

This is one of our last full weeks of summer.  Here's how yesterday went down.

almost 9ish: We were on on way to therapy, and Violet was mad that I wouldn't give her my granola bar.  She has a mean pout face that comes at quicker than you can say "no."  It is so dang cute and funny, but we are seriously trying not to show her when we laugh.  It's hard work.

Untitled

almost 10:  I finished up my work out class.  I'm so thankful to work out in air-conditioning with childcare.  Both are summer critical.

Untitled

almost 11:  We finished up grocery shopping right before picking up the twins from therapy, which is what we do most Mondays.  Shopping with two kids > shopping with four kids.  The girls take turns riding on top of the "Fun Cart."  This sometimes freaks out employees, and I just pretend like I don't notice their discomfort.  They haven't fallen yet, and I figure that if they do fall, they will stop doing it.

Untitled

12ish:  We ate lunch with one of Lily's old gymnastics coaches who now lives overseas doing missions work.  It was great to catch up!

Untitled

a little past 1:  We came home to a completely clean house courtesy of our lovely housecleaner, and I was amazed at how much stuff was in William's crib.  I put him down for a nap and realized that it is almost time for toddler beds, especially since they are still sleeping in mini-cribs and are no longer mini themselves.  BUT - I am not ready to have twins on the loose.  They can get out of their cribs, but they mostly choose not to.  However, I am nervous that once we transition to toddler beds, I will regularly have little escapees.

Untitled

2ish:  I sat down to write a blog post and catch up on email.  I didn't get very far on the email.

Untitled

3ish:  My sweet cat joined me.  She is losing weight, and I probably need to take her to the vet to get her checked, because I'm not sure why, and she has certainly never had this problem in the past.  But, I just haven't managed to move it to the top of the list, especially since she is acting fine.

Untitled

4ish:  I was finishing up my make-up, because I tried to squeeze in a shower before gymnastics, though I really was cutting it close.  We ended up late for gymnastics, and I was once again reminded that I cannot do all the things all of the time.

Untitled

5:15ish:  Once the big kids were done with gymnastics, they played ring-around-the-rosie with the littles to everyone's great joy and delight.  Maybe excepting anyone that had to listen to it.  They didn't exactly use inside voices.

Untitled

6:30ish:  I made Coconut Shrimp for dinner using coconut milk mixed with flaxseed in lieu of the egg wash you would normally use for breading since the twins are both allergic to egg.  It actually worked pretty well.  And I breaded the red pepper just because it sounded good, and I was right.

Untitled

7:30ish:  Bedtime always feels a little chaotic and requires a lot of direction.  Last night was no exception.

Untitled

8:30ish:  We've been very slowly working our way through Friday Night Lights on Netflix.  Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

Untitled

9:30ish:  Ice cream break.  This was John's.  I actually put mine in a bowl and added pumpkin seeds, chocolate syrup and whipped cream.  Yum.

Untitled

10:15ish:  We thought we heard little girl voices talking, but thankfully, when I checked on them, everyone was sound asleep.  Sweet baby girl.

Untitled

Days like yesterday are so normal for us, and when I look back at it, I see how full of goodness it really is.  Nothing is extraordinary, but I am so thankful for the sweet moments.

0 comments: