Friday, August 21, 2015

THIS WEEK: HIGHS & LOWS

This week has been a bear on many fronts.  Transitioning into the school year, while a welcome change, also comes with its fair share of challenges.  How am I supposed to cope with getting up every morning at a certain time?  It's like I have to pretend to be an adult again every weekday, and I'm only half-way decent at it.  Here are some of this week's highs and lows.

High:  Last Saturday night we had a family date night that ended up being quite delicious and fun.  We ate at a favorite noodle restaurant downtown and then rode bikes by the river.  The weather was pleasant, and the children were *mostly* pleasant, which is a win for us.

Untitled
Untitled
("Rule for life: keep your shirt down."  Something we say a lot in our family.)
Untitled
(The natives are getting restless.  Time to go.)
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

Low:  With school starting and the drama and grief involved in the decision to put our cat to sleep, I didn't get a lot of sleep.  There was also a lot of crying.  And my body freaked out a little and betrayed me into the land of congestion and break outs.  What a delightful response to stress.

High:  I don't use the double stroller much when we go places anymore, and instead I rely on the fact that the twins will cling to each other's hands.  This just doesn't get old to me.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

Low:  Obviously, losing our cat was awful, but we did have some good moments this week.  She was mostly spending time in our closet, so I hung out in there with her.  The kids also joined me on several occasions.

Untitled
Untitled

High:  I went on an impromptu walk with a friend.  Since our bigs were in school, that meant we only had five kids four and under.  They were a bit unruly, but it was great to be able to talk and enjoy being outdoors.

Untitled

Low:  While on this walk, a biker came up on our left, and I didn't know he was coming.  He tried to go around us, and instead, he fell, in slow motion, right next to me into a giant shrub.  I was mortified, but it also didn't feel like it could really be happening, since it happened so very s.l.o.w.l.y. The recovery was also slow and awkward as I continued to stand there and apologize.  All in all, there were terrible feelings for everyone involved.

High:  The weather took a turn towards AMAZINGness this week.  I know it probably won't last, but it has been so very pleasant.  We enjoyed a beautiful picnic at the park yesterday afternoon.

Untitled
Untitled

It is Friday, and the weekend is actually upon us, Praise be to King Jesus.  I'm hoping for rest and recovery in the midst of everything else.  Hope your weekend brings those as well!  (If you need them.  Otherwise, I hope your weekend brings endless fun and partying.)

0 comments: