Thursday, April 14, 2016

MAGICAL TIDYING UPDATE #4: I CAN DO ANYTHING!

I began my magical tidying journey with the new year, and the fact that it is mid-April, and I am actually still trucking along with this tells me so many things.

1.  There are A LOT of places and things in my home that have needed my attention.  Maybe I'm halfway done with this project - maybe a little more.  It's hard to know at this point.  I am being extremely thorough, because what's the point of doing it if I'm not going to do it all the way?

2.  Marie Kondo (author of the book) is truly a tidying genius - or at least, she has come up with a method that is very helpful to me.  I can easily run things through a filter of what sparks joy or what I need and make real decisions.  Since decision making is the part of the whole process that has always seemed the most daunting, it is helpful to have some clear lines for me.  The more I've done it, the easier it has become.

3.  I can do ANYTHING!  💪 Now - I know that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.  That verse has been ingrained forever in my life.  But, the truth is that I have not always had the internal motivation to do the nitty gritty work that I don't like doing.  Usually the motivation would have fizzled and faded by now, and the effort would not have gotten past my closet.  But it's been amazingly rewarding to overcome my lazy lack of self-discipline to do something that I've always wanted to do (put my whole house in order) but never believed I actually could do.

It's made me wonder what else I am capable of - probably all the things - though I shouldn't get too carried away.  I do have a tendency towards extremes.😳

I've still been working in my kitchen, and I must say, my spices have arrived.  This section of my pantry makes me ridiculously happy. 🙌🙌🙌

Untitled

Though I majorly pared down on my food storage supply, I was still finding it difficult to match stuff.

Untitled

It dawned on me that I could get all new stuff for not a lot of money and be able to quickly find lids.  It's not a hard or expensive change, but it is one that I wouldn't have done before this process.  We would have just suffered through.  (I do know that not being able to match the correct lid to the correct container is not real suffering.)  However, though the drawer doesn't look any prettier - it is at prime functionality for us.

Untitled

Most of it matches, and it's the amount we actually need instead of taking up two giant drawers with craziness.

The moral of this tidying story is that if you can tidy your everything, than you can do anything. 👊  At least, that's what I'm getting out of it.

Past Magical Tidying Updates
Initial Post
Update #1 (Clothes)
Update #2 (Books)
Update #3 (Kitchen)

0 comments: