Monday, October 24, 2011

Haunted Gingerbread House

      Well, this weekend had its ups and downs.  Ups: I got to take a gorgeous walk with the girls - the weather was beautiful.  We had some great fish and chips on Saturday night.  The girls were mostly really sweet.  (We are just dabbling in potty training Lily - which leads me to ask questions of myself like, "Do I have what it takes?"  Right now, I have major doubts.  More on that in another post, so I guess I should have put this part in the downs side.)  Downs: John got a gnarly stomach bug and was out for about 24 hours.  Very thankfully, he was the only one that got sick, so that should be considered a major up.  Anyway, not our favorite weekend ever, but as always, we have so much to be thankful for that we cannot complain, even if I felt like it at times.  (and did in my head and had to repent of it later.)
      So, I don't have a fun post about what we did this weekend.  I have been watching a lot of Food Network lately - I love the seasonal challenges for Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas.  So much fun.  I feel that in another life and with a lot of training, I could have been a cake artist and competed on those shows.  How fun that would be!  So, since I didn't really blog 3 years ago when I did this, I am going to post my very own Halloween Gingerbread House.  This is from the fall of 2008, before I had children.  I love making gingerbread houses for Christmas and thought it might be a fun twist to do a "haunted" one.  Here it is!

IMG_0712.JPG
Picnik collage
IMG_0709.JPG

I had so much fun using earth tone M'Ms and making a pumpkin patch.  The ghosts are made out of marshmallows, and the spiders are made out of licorice.  I piped spider webs onto the sides of the house with icing and used a bunch of candy corn.  It was fun to have a different take on a gingerbread house for once, and though I probably won't make another one anytime real soon, I am glad I did it once!

0 comments: