Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Project: Lettered Canvas Sign

      If you follow me on Pinterest, then you know that I have pinned a few lettered signs in my day, as well as some fun laundry room phrases.  I found several funny things to put in there, including this one that I liked and did my own take on.  I really wanted to cover that crazy AT&T cabinet right in the middle of the wall, and this did the trick!

IMG_0167

I used a thick, white canvas, acrylic paint, Freezer Paper and my Silhouette.  I do love my Silhouette (a machine that cuts designs for you, for those who don't know), but I was the most excited about how the Freezer Paper performed - that stuff is amazing!  Here's what I did.

I painted the edges and front of my canvas black.

IMG_9980

Then, I painted over the front of the canvas with cream, and brushed over it with paper towels while it was wet to let the black show through just a bit.

IMG_9980

Then, I used my Silhouette to cut out the Freezer paper (which you could do with an Exacto Knife), and I ironed the Freezer Paper directly onto the painted canvas.  And it worked!  I was a little hesitant, because I thought it might screw up the paint, but it didn't at all.

IMG_0048

I simply painted with black paint directly over the Freezer Paper, and peeled the paper off after it had dried.  It bled funny in some places, most of which I liked.

IMG_0052

After cleaning it up a bit, I was left with the final product, and it definitely looks better than what was there before, which you can see in this post, which also shows how I painted the wall behind the canvas.

IMG_0167

I have two more clever saying signs that I have started for the laundry room, but those projects have been hijacked by crafting for Bella's upcoming birthday party and fall fun.  Hopefully, I will get back to them soon.

3 comments:

Lorna said...

Love it! I want one!! :)

Kristin Murdock said...

I love it!!!

Linds said...

seriously. you inspire me. Can I hire you to come and do my house (when we get a new one)? :)