Tuesday, January 07, 2014

MY DIETS IN 2014

It's time for some truth telling on myself around here.  You see, I have a slightly addictive personality type.  Here are a couple of examples.  When the Lord of the Rings movies came out in the theaters, I was in college, and I was obsessed.  (Clearly, I was also a super-nerd.)  I had read all the books, and I went to all the midnight showings, and then I saw two of the movies five times each in the theater.  By the time the third one rolled around, I was working and could only make time to see it three times in the theater.  Please take note that movies were cheaper (I know it was only a tiny bit) back in 2001, 2002 and 2003.  And, apparently, I had little regard for time, because there was just so much of it to spare.

Another example: during my freshman year of college, I decided that all calories were equal and that I could live on mostly breads and desserts and Dr. Pepper.  I did not gain the freshman 15, because I wasn't overeating.  I was just eating very poorly.  I did become sick by Thanksgiving, probably due to the extremely late nights and complete lack of nutrition, and I learned first hand how bad bronchitis with a sinus infection and exhaustion can be.  Ahh, college.  Those were the days.  My nutrition did improve significantly after that.

So, it's a new year and time for the onslaught of resolutions and goals and words for 2014.  I've never much been into resolutions.  I figure that I should always be trying to be the best version of myself, and I sort of hate jumping onto a bandwagon and doing what everyone else is doing.  We all have our problems.  Maybe one of my resolutions should be to get over myself and recognize that sometimes, other people have really great ideas that I could benefit from.

But, there is something about starting a new year that makes me evaluate how things are going.  Over the last several months, I've had a growing conviction that some of my diets are not as they should be.  And yes, I intended "diets" to be plural.  Here's what I am talking about.

I am working on changing some of the ways that I eat.  I really eat pretty well, but the problem is that I often eat more than I should.  And I don't say "No" to myself very often.  I still like dessert an awful lot, and I drink more Diet Dr. Pepper than I should.  The Lord is showing me that he does care what I eat, because it is a reflection of what I think about my body.  Do I believe it is only mine and meant to serve me?  Or, do I believe that he created it for his purposes, and it is my job to steward that gift so that it can be ready to serve as needed?

The other component of this is self-control.  It is a fruit of the Spirit, and I know that only by abiding in the Spirit can I have self-control.  I don't need that 3rd cookie.  I don't need another Diet Dr. Pepper.  I don't need more Smarties.  I do need more water.  I need more broccoli.  I need more light protein.  These choices are things that I can do, but I have to be intentional and asking the Lord to help me to submit all my desires to him.

The other diet that I am referring to is all of the social media that I consume in a day.  How often am I guilty of not reading my Bible, but instead, spending time numbing out on Facebook?  It is easy.  It is mindless, and I feel entitled to not having to think after battling with parenting decisions all day long.  It is so easy to click into Instagram and slide through the pictures.

I am very guilty of doing the easy thing.  But, God clearly tells us that his way is not easy.  "But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."  Matthew 7:14.  It's easier to eat the dessert than to think about the big picture of what my body is for.  It's easier to read another Facebook link about something mildly interesting than to dig into God's word and look for truth.

So, in 2014, I am asking the Lord for his help in changing my diets and my desires.  I know that is the only chance I have, because I am a weakling without his strength.  I know that God desires for me to live a life that is abundant and pleasing to him, and I am hoping and praying that this year will be better than the last!

1 comments:

Carmen Smith said...

Carol, I love this. Thank you so much. There is a lot of truth in here. (Oh and on a side note, from one nerd to another, do not beat yourself up over how many times you saw the LOTR Trilogy in theaters. Afterall, Peter Jackson is nothing if not thorough and a stickler for detail. It clearly took that many viewings to soak it all in and absorb the story as fully intended.) Love to you guys. XOXOXO