Thursday, June 19, 2014

TOTALLY RANDOM THURSDAY: TRT

I'm back with another Totally Random Thursday, or - as I am about to start calling it - TRT.  You know, like Throwback Thursday (TBT), except without any social media presence.  Just a thing I might do every so often.  By Thursday, the week is mostly gone, and I find that my energy is mostly spent.  I often still want to blog, but it is sometimes harder to wrap it all up neatly.  I think that also has something to do with the summer and how out of sync everything feels right now.  So maybe TRT will be a summer thing here at the John and Carol Show.

-  This week many of my friends are out of town or otherwise out of commission to hang out so that we can wrangle kiddos together.  I miss you all - please come back from China/Nebraska/the beach or quit working nights or having in-laws in town.  I mean - is it too much to ask that your schedules revolve around me?  It doesn't feel like too much ask.  And pay no attention when I leave town next week.  I guess we all have to do what we have to do, but I miss the regular hang outs.

-  My kids and I have had a LOT of togetherness in the past couple of weeks.  I feel like Violet looks in this picture - a little squished by the togetherness.  But - there are a lot of perks too, and I am getting extra kisses/snuggles/cuddles/chances to read aloud/chances to do puzzles/chances to discipline.  You know, all the good stuff.

Afterlight

- Since many of my usual friends are out of town, I did branch out and invite over a newer friend, and we had a lovely time together.  Plus, she brought her two adorable children, and William got a new buddy to "hang out" with.  I don't think that pun ever gets old.  I heart the baby bouncers!

Afterlight

- I have recently read The Fault in Our Stars.  As in, I have read it twice in the past week and a half.  I guess you could say that I liked it.  I know I am late to the party, but I am glad that I showed up to this one.  I decided that I wanted to see the movie, like, right away.  So, last night, I texted a friend (who often doubles as a babysitter for us), to see if she wanted to go to the late showing.  I'm glad she said yes, because it ended up just being us in the theater.  Don't we look like we are having fun in the dark?  I loved the movie and the book - though you should be warned that both are sad, but also funny and true to what cancer feels like in someone you love.

Untitled

- I wrote a post about my step-father on father's day, but I never mentioned John and what an amazing dad he is.  Truly, I am so thankful to have John by my side and get to parent with him.  He loves our children so very well and is intentional and gracious.

Afterlight
Untitled

- Last week, Lily went to VBS and had a great week with friends.  There was a "program" on Thursday night where we got to hear them sing and have desserts.  Ice Cream sandwiches are one of the messiest desserts imaginable for small kids, but they sure do enjoy them.  The kids did a great job singing, and it was encouraging to see Lily thriving among her peers.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

- Trips to Old Navy have a great propensity to go well or poorly.  This particular trip turned out pretty badly when someone threw themselves to the floor screaming to get the purple flip flops instead of the pink ones.  Both girls also insisted on pushing their own carts, and I didn't have the backbone to stop them.  As you might imagine, that was less than successful.  All in all, I am sure they were glad to see the back of us.

Afterlight

- John thinks he may have found a brown recluse spider in our closet.  God, please save us from a brown recluse bite and also from the google image search results that come up.  Those are some horrific images.  I need to call our bug person and see what they can do about it.

Untitled

That sums up this edition of TRT.  Happy almost Friday!

0 comments: