Thursday, February 23, 2012

On Becoming a Healthier Version of Me

      I know I mentioned a while back that I read the book Seven, by Jen Hatmaker.  In many ways it has rocked my world, and I believe that God is working inside my heart to bring about more of what he wants to be there.  I am starting to glimpse a bit more each day that maybe, just maybe, the God of the universe really does know best, and that my job is to show up and do what he asks.  I feel like I still have a lot of repenting and heart-cleansing to do, which I am sure will be forever ongoing, but it is nice to see the Lord at work.  I am also starting to see that he can ask an awful lot, and I may not think it is stuff that I need or want to do.  You see, I am used to saying "yes" to myself.  What does Carol want right now?  What does Carol think she needs?  What would best serve Carol and Carol's family?  Those are the wrong questions to be asking, but I feel caught up in them.  Which is a yucky feeling.
      One way this has played out manifested itself at our CFA Seminar.  There was a Wellness booth at Expo, run by the very kind people from CFA Wellness.  (Warning:  If you have seen me in the last week - you have already heard this.)  They do a full-body check up, which includes height/weight, a strength test, flexibility, blood work, heart rate, blood pressure and then they pinch your fat with those horrible caliper things, all while talking sweetly to you and telling you nice things like, "You don't look like you have had two kids."  Once you get through the work-up, they tell you the age of your body and send you a thorough email detailing where you stand on all the metrics.  I body was at age 34, and I am really only 30.  My friend, who is a month older than me, was 23.  (She also did 74 push-ups to my 11, so you can see that she is some kind of amazing.)
      When I looked through my work-up, it got me thinking.  First off, it was sort of depressing.  I have actually gained weight while training for my half marathon, and I fall in the poor categories in almost every area, except cardio-vascular.  This is really not a boo-hoo moment.  I really have a healthy body image, and I know that I am not over-weight or wildly unhealthy.  However, it is a wake-up call.  I need to practice saying "no" to certain things more often, and I need to try to find some healthier alternatives.
      You always hear things about how good you will feel once you really are eating right.  Well, I am aiming to test that out.  By golly, I am going to give healthy eating a go.  But, in a managed, moderate way that I hope will be sustainable.  Honestly, for me, it will mean saying no to some of the sweets I take in and making a few different choices.  I will keep everyone posted.  I want to be a good steward of the body that God has entrusted me with, since it is his anyways.  And, I thought I would blog about it, in case anyone else is in the same boat of always saying "yes" and needing a little inspiration to do something differently.
      So, if you follow me on Pinterest, you may have noticed that I started pinning smoothie recipes like they were going out of style.  I also started a gardening board, and I am hoping to start a very small scale garden in our backyard.  I need to convince John that this is a great plan and that he should build some really cute, useful containers for us to grow herbs and vegetables in.  What do you think, sweetheart?
      I made my first smoothie today, and it was delicious, even with a combination I made up.  I even learned what Flaxseed is and added that to it, as well as Greek Yogurt and spinach.  I think I may even start giving smoothies to the girls for snack time.  That would definitely be better for them than the fruit snacks I currently give.  Our Kroger has an amazing Organic/Health Food section with tons of healthy options to make my smoothies more healthful.  I am looking forward to trying out some fun stuff.
      So, this is a journey to a healthier version of me.

And, because every post needs some pictures - here is where the sun hits our bed every morning around waking up time.  Thankfully, this is only for a short time.  Once the clock-changes over, it doesn't happen, but until then, it is quite the bright light right on my face.



Here are Bella and I enjoying my new phone's camera that turns toward us!  (I think that is snot running down her chin.)



And, lastly, here is Lily (with Bella close behind) playing in the yard enjoying some of the gorgeous weather we have been having.

IMG_2277

Peace out, and happy Thursday.

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

Carol...I finished the book "7" about a month ago and it has rocked me to the core as well. I am begging God to reveal the areas of my life that need a really good cleaning out...and it's basically every single part. Praying for you on your journey to health. Thanks again for all that you've done for us. Blessings!!

Anna said...

Carol! You can do it! I'm right there with you. I gave up sweets for Lent. Thought it would be easier than it is. Seeking Christ when I want chocolate happens way more during the day than expected.
Text me if you need encouragement ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Carol. I enjoy your posts and keeping with your cute family. Haven't commented before but as your old pal, wanted to say Hi! Great post on getting healthier! I'll be at the half marathon, maybe see you there.
:)
Carmen

Kristin Murdock said...

YAY! I am excited for you to do this!
Something I have been doing lately that has made a huge difference is drinking 6 of those huge Starbucks cold cups worth of water every day. It has REALLY helped with feeling better, looking better, and my running. I honestly even saw a difference in my hair and skin. Water -- the miracle drug. :)