Here are the kilns, as well as the calendar from 2008.


Here's a peak at the piles of glass. From what I understand, this is the way the inventory worked, even in the good days.



It was a strange experience for so many reasons and left me emotional. It was the end of our trip, which was bittersweet. But, more than that, I felt like it mirrored so many things in the country. That country is filled with resources, and for many reasons, they are not being utilized, which leaves much of the population in poverty. We kept saying that if someone could just come in and ship everything to the States to sell it - there was thousands and thousands of dollars just lying around. It is hard to see so much wasted when so many people are in need, including the very people who own the stuff.


I also felt like the whole place was ripe with metaphor. Too many for me to be able to pick them all out. But, I felt like it echoed the reality of the fallen world that we live in. Things were not meant to be this way. Precious, valuable, beautiful glass was being treated as basically worthless, like so many lives in so many places in the world. It was a bit staggering to walk through when I put it through that filter.



It made me long for the God that promises "that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God" (Romans 8:21). I don't know if the glass factory will every be able to recover, though I certainly hope so. I do know that I serve the God who promises to make all things new. I am thankful that he picked me out of a mess of sin to serve him. What a blessing.

I found this pitcher in one of the piles. They also were able to locate all the pieces of a nativity set for us, as well of some little dessert dishes. Amazing little treasures just waiting to be picked out and cleaned off. Just like we are.





2 comments:
so cool and sad at the same time. hope you will post a picture of the glass pitcher once it's all shiny again:)
That breaks my heart. I would have been bawling my eyes out, Carol. There is something so profoundly sad about that place. Heart-breaking.
Post a Comment