Thursday, May 31, 2012

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie: Have you Heard of it?

      This is the recipe for one of my all-time favorite pies.  Since I am a confessed pie addict (and dessert of all kinds lover), that is saying a lot.  It is also one of John's favorite treats.  Since we live in the South, rhubarb is a bit tough to come by.  Last year I never found it, though it should be noted that I did not do a lot of hunting.  So, when we were shopping our local Wal-Mart last Saturday night, and I happened upon the red celery stuff, I did not hesitate to purchase it.  Buying rhubarb is always an adventure here, because inevitably, and I do mean every time, the cashier has no idea what the stuff is.  I always explain, while they look at me dubiously, and then there is always ringing up drama - at Kroger and Wal-Mart.  This time it took the cashier and two managers to figure out that I should not be charged PER STALK.  All of that to say, rhubarb is not exactly local fare, but it is tart and tasty, especially in pie form.

Here's what it looks like.

IMG_4150IMG_4152

For this pie, chop up several (like maybe six, or about two cups worth) stalks of rhubarb.  (also, now when I write rhubarb, I think of the VeggieTale episode with Rhubarbarians.  I think I am ruined for life from that show.)  You want the sweetest smelling rhubarb that is the ripest, so I generally cut off the top 1/3 of the stalk.

IMG_4154

Chop it into little pieces.  This is the size piece that we have decided on for our family.

IMG_4161

I use one carton of strawberries for this pie.
IMG_4164

Make a two crust pastry - I use my Mom's recipe, which I posted here.  It is classic and timeless.  Fill your bottom crust with your fruit.

IMG_4167

For whatever reason, I managed to be in another world when I was making this and went ahead and covered the pie before pouring the rest of the filling in.  Silly, Carol.  This required pie surgery.  Here's the recipe for the filling - which is adapted from my mother-in-law's Rhubarb Cream Pie recipe.

2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour

Pour this over your strawberry/rhubarb mixture.

IMG_4169
IMG_4171

Place top crust over the mixture.  (or re-place top crust, as the situation may be)  Try to make it look pretty.  I still have not managed to make really pretty pies - maybe in the future.

IMG_4172

To give your crust a little more pizzazz, paint it with milk and sprinkle sugar on top of it.  I literally poured milk over it and spread it around with a brush.

IMG_4173

Bake in the oven at 350° for one hour.  I use a pie crust shield around the edge for at least 30 minutes of that so that the edges don't burn.  Foil would accomplish the same thing.

IMG_4174

Eat a piece before your company comes over to make sure it tastes good.  It does.

IMG_4177

I like mine a la mode.

IMG_4179

4 comments:

Valerie B. said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe! This is one of Nick's all time favorite pies (mine too) but it always comes out runny for me. I like your recipe because the eggs probably help hold it together better.
And I was also surprised at how difficult it is to find rhubarb around here - Harp's usually has it for us - Walmart usually doesn't.

Mmmm...now I'm in the mood for pie!

Valerie B. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Boonies in the Boonies said...

Ah! I feel liked can hear Twilight zone music "doo doo doo doo!" Rhubarb is EVERYWHERE up here in PA and I keep looking at it thinking I want to make a strawberry pie, but wasn't sure what to do with it. So glad you posted this!!
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie here we come!

Courtney said...

Oh my goodness, I missed this post, but more then the post, I MISSED my piece of that deliciousness! I still remember when you made it for CG a year or so ago and it was FANTABULOUS! Thanks for posting, now maybe I can make it and enjoy it here in Bham!