Tuesday, January 29, 2013

4 GOING ON 16

I've written posts about how quickly the girls are growing up (you can read one of those here), but it still sneaks up on me every now and again.

Saturday morning, I moseyed out of our bedroom.  I had heard the pitter patter of little feet, so I knew the girls had already been stirring.  When I walked into the living room, Lily was sitting on the couch with her swag surrounding her.
She said, "I am sitting on the couch!"
I said, "I see that."
Lily then went on to say, "Lambie was like, 'I'm ready to go out.'  And I said, 'Sure!'  So we came out and sat on the couch."

Oh, how I laughed.  4 going on 16.  It was like a tiny window into our future.  Some days with Lily have been H.A.R.D., as if every single thing said needs to be wailed about or contradicted.  That is exhausting.  But, there are giant rays of hopefulness shining through the sometimes darkness.  She is becoming so helpful and sweet.  She will get breakfast for her and Bella and then put much of it away.  She is getting herself dressed without overwhelming amounts of drama.  She says "Please" and "Thank You," and she is usually so kind towards Bella.

I really enjoy seeing her personality develop.  She intently watched as the bread machine churned our cinnamon roll dough.  She wants to be in on any baking action, and dumping things into recipes is one of her favorite things to do.

IMG_2289

Check out those eye-lashes.  It has been a while since a stranger asked if I put mascara on her, but I can understand why they would ask.  (Sort of.  I mean, really.  Who puts mascara on their 4-yr-old for fun?)

IMG_2291

And where Lily is, Thing 2 is sure to follow.

IMG_2293

Speaking of Bella - That Girl Be Cray Cray.  Sometimes John and I say this to one another in the intense moments.  It usually lightens our mood.  She has completely given up napping.  Instead, she plays in her crib with the enormous amount of stuff in there.  It recently came to my attention that she takes stuff and sneaks it into her crib when I am not paying attention, just to make sure she has plenty to play with in there.

Then, the yelling begins.  Since Lily doesn't nap either, she can hear Lily playing, so I hear her yelling, "Lily!  Lily!  What you doing, Lily?  Open the door, Lily!"  Since Lily is under instruction to not open Bella's door, this goes unheeded.  Bella then starts in with, "Mom!  Mom!  Open the door!  I'm ready to get out!  Open the door!"  Since this never works, she then yells, "CAROL!  Heeellllooo?!?  CAROL! Open the door!"  If John is home, she will also yell, "JOHN!"  This will eventually subside into playing with all of the aforementioned stuff, but not into sleep.

Untitled

As you might imagine, I am sad about the lack of sleep happening during nap time.  Especially when Bella regularly says, "I hungry tired" for any biological need she may be feeling.

Yesterday we reached a new milestone with Bella; we bought her her first big girl undies.  She picked Hello Kitty and Angry Birds and was so pleased about it all.  And so adorable.

Untitled

After all of the "fun" we had potty training Lily (which can be read about here and here), I am more than a little nervous about starting this process.  So, I am easing into it.  Bella has sat on the potty a few times, though nothing has happened.  She is moderately obsessed with her new undies.  Here they are with her breakfast.

IMG_2294

Hoping that this go-round is a bit easier.  The good news is it almost has to be.  It would sure be great to have this milestone behind us and be out of diapers in our house - at least for a while.  Since Bella and Lily are 21 months apart, it is strange to think that when Lily was Bella's age, I had a little baby.  It makes me cherish this time with Bella, knowing that she will be little for only a little while longer.  Two years old definitely has low lows, but the highs are so worth it, and I wouldn't trade it.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Why is it that I feel that this is a glimpse into what my life will be like in about a year?? With an almost 1 year old and an almost 3 year old, I know it's coming. :)

Fun times!