"You are intentional."
These women would never have compared notes on this and are in two separate contexts in my life, so it struck me as sort of amazing that they would have said the same thing to me, about me.
"You are intentional."
As I thought about it, I realized that that could be a defining characteristic. I think a lot about what I do, and I try to follow through on things I think I should do. I plan for them and try to make them happen, and usually I have a reason behind the things I am doing. But just them saying that to me made me want to be even more intentional. I want to live up to one of the things they chose to remark on in my life, and I want to make it even more true.
It showed me the power of speaking things into people's lives. Especially my children.
This semester, in my women's group, we are going through The Christian Parenting Handbook. So far, I have really loved it. It has little chapters chalked full of wisdom nuggets for me to grasp onto during this time of life. One of the chapters from this past week was about helping your kids see how positive character traits they have could play out well for them in the future.
I can see that Lily is endlessly creative and can be so helpful. I want to nurture those things inside her heart and help her to see what talents God has uniquely gifted her with.
I can see that Bella is naturally loving and already a fantastic conversationalist. What a treasure those gifts will be to the world around her, and one of my jobs will be helping her to see those things and grow them inside of herself.
I am starting to see glimpses of what sweet gifts Violet and William will have. Violet is very attuned to the people around her, and William is so joyful. I never cease to be amazed at how God creates such different profiles in each person that all work in harmony to reflect the myriad facets of God when we are functioning inside his grace.

Our speaker at Bloom challenged us to really SEE our children this week, and I want to be looking for the positive traits they each bring to life and encourage those inside of them. It will take more of me listening. More of me paying close attention. More of me watching. More of me praying that God will show himself to me through my kids and guide me in my words to them.
I want to give my children something to live up to.







0 comments:
Post a Comment