We chose from this table of goodies.

The master showed us how to use the glaze. We had several really fun options and were told that we could not screw it up. We were doing a technique called Raku.
I was pretty giddy during the whole process.
After everything had been glazed, we waited for it to dry.

Then it was time for our super tasty supper - a "Cream Can Dinner"- all cooked in the same giant can. It was amazing.

Dinner was wrapped up with delicious baked apples all served on dishes created by Mr. Butowski, the master potter himself.

The time for firing had arrived. He uses a blow torch to get the kiln to be 1700 degrees. That's hot, ya'll.

After the pieces had been sufficiently heated, they were taken out with tongs and put into a can of straw that catches on fire. It was pretty wild to watch. There was a lot of smoke with the first one that I ended up getting a face full of. It was that moment that I decided dying of smoke inhalation would be a bad way to go. It really stings!
After it cools, you scrub all the extra black stuff off to reveal your new treasure.

It is easy to see why there are so many spiritual allegories about the potter and the clay. It is amazing to see what Mr. Butowski could create out of simple clay that he purchases 1000 lbs at a time.


I fell in love with and purchased one of those crazy man mugs. I think I may drink some chai out of it on this chilly fall day. We truly had a delightful evening with some of my favorite people in the world. What a blessing.


I came away with this amazing jar and a plate that I have yet to see.
To see Courtney's take on the evening and a really funny picture of John, click here.










0 comments:
Post a Comment