Thursday, February 12, 2015

ALL THE DEAD HORSES

This past weekend I attended an IF:Local Gathering.  It was excellent.  Refreshing.  Fun.  Filled with worship and great teaching.  So many women from our church attended, and it was encouraging to have real conversations about faith and what it looks like in our lives.  I feel as though I'm still trying to process it underneath everything else that is going on.

Untitled

As a humorous side note, on Friday my friend and I accidentally dressed the same.  Good thing it was with a really subtle outfit.

Untitled

John had the kiddos for much of the weekend, which veritably made him super-dad.  He spent most of Saturday out of the house.  Here's the crew enjoying the massage chairs at the mall.

Untitled

By Saturday night, we were all quite spent.  Sunday brought church and Sunday School and screaming children, because quite frankly, the twins are in a very screamy stage.  I felt like I wanted to process through all that God was trying to teach me, and instead, I kept hitting walls.  As John and I discussed life, it felt like we were going in circles with things that we should be better at by now.  We were beating dead horses.  Our conversation felt littered with them, and we couldn't take a step without hitting another one.

It makes me tired just thinking about it.  I'm sick of trudging through issues that have been thoroughly plowed already, but, unfortunately, that is part of the human experience.  I am my own worst enemy, and in this world, we will have trouble.  Dead horses come with the territory.

But, even as I sat on the couch, wishing that certain things could be different, God gave me a great visual image of what he can do with our dead horses.  He can breathe life.

It made me think of the passage in Ezekiel 37 in the Valley of the Dry Bones.

"Thus says the Lord God to these bones, ‘Behold, I will cause breath to enter you that you may come to life. I will put sinews on you, make flesh grow back on you, cover you with skin and put breath in you that you may come alive; and you will know that I am the Lord.’”  Ezekiel 37: 5-6

God breathes life into the bones, and they rise up to become an exceedingly great army.  What if God breathes life into our struggles and makes them a beautiful part of our story?  What if all of our dead horses come to life, and we ride them into the sunset?  It seems too much to hope for, but I believe in a big God.  

The whole premise of the IF: Gathering is - "IF God is real, then what?"  One of the speakers said that he is not the God "I Was."  He's the God "I AM."  He's presently working inside of us for our good and his glory.  What hope there is in him.  He makes things new.  He creates beauty from ashes. He moves walls and mountains and galaxies.  I can trust him with the details of my little world.

One day at a time.  One dead horse at a time.

0 comments: