Sunday, February 15, 2015

BIG VALENTINE'S SURPRISE

John and I are not big gift givers.  Most of the time, for most major events, we decide on something we want together, ahead of time - and often, that thing would be an experience.  Or, each of us picks out something very specific for the other one to purchase.  There's not often a lot of surprising going on.  So, let me just say, that yesterday brought a total shock to me.

We were headed to Dallas (more on that later), and John had said he wanted to take back roads to get there.  He wanted to "take our time," and "make it feel like when we were in college and used to drive around together when I had convinced him to skip a class."  Honestly, this totally seemed like something he would request, and it sounded fun (since we would have no children with us!), so I never questioned it.

I also never questioned his insistence that we leave our house by noon.  He kept saying that he was ready to get out of town without our precious littles, and I was too, so it never dawned on me that there would be any other reason to have a leave-by time.

I thought it was a bit odd that he seemed hurried at our Sonic Drive through lunch, but again, our life has been a sort of wild lately and anything is possible.  Here we are waiting for our food.  Does he look a little nervous?

Untitled

About 45 minutes later, we pulled into Mena, AR.  I said, "Oh!  Mena!  This is where The Rage, that store that I really like online is actually located."  He said, "Which store?"  But, he was grinning.  At that point, I sort of figured out that something was up.  Flash back to a couple of weeks ago - John had been asking me about clothing and where I liked to shop.  He posed the question of where I would go if I could only go to one place.  It was an easy answer for me.  In the last year, I have done a good majority of my shopping at The Rage online.  I have the app.  I get the texts.  I love their style, and the prices are extremely reasonable for what you are getting.  I have even mentioned it in the blog before.

We pulled up to The Rage about 5 minutes later, because Mena is a very small town - think around 5,000 people small.

Untitled
Untitled

John told me to open the glove compartment, where I found a very sweet Valentine's card that was filled with cash.  As we walked into the store, I immediately spotted a bouquet of flowers with my name on it!

Untitled
Untitled

We met sweet Kailyn who had helped John set up this surprise.

Untitled

And then, we got down to shopping.  John looked around and said, "I really like these clothes."  He then proceeded to help me shop, give opinions as I tried things on and narrow down my selection.  He also pulled out champagne glasses and my favorite champagne while we shopped.

Untitled
Untitled

I ended up with several really fun things, and it was such a treat to see the store in person.  It is so cute!  I felt totally at home there.

Untitled
Untitled

All in all, John pulled off a fabulous surprise that was such a treat.  I've made no secret of the fact that the last six months have held their fair share of challenges and intense moments.  Having a moment of all fun, all love was such a blessing and not one I take for granted.  He totally nailed it, and I am so grateful.

Untitled

And, just so you don't think that every aspect of our day yesterday was the *most romantic ever*, please note that we ate dinner at a Panda Express in a mall food court.  We had our reasons, and since we don't have that restaurant in The Rock, we always enjoy it.  But, life is not all flowers and champagne.

Untitled

1 comments:

Kailyn said...

Oh my gosh! I'm so excited you guys had a great time! I hope you made it back home safely to your sweet babies! It was such a pleasure working with you guys and getting to know you for a bit! Can't wait until the next time we see y'all!