Tuesday, March 08, 2011

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies: Seriously, the best

     I feel like making chocolate chip cookies is the quintessential "mom" thing to do.  And I want to do it well - I want to make the best chocolate chip cookies.  Now I have the best recipe, and I am willing to share.  I got this recipe from my friend Jenn who got it from JoNell Caldwell - thanks, JoNell for giving us the opportunity to make craveable cookies.  Without further adieu - here it is.

IMG_6249

Here's what you need.
1/2 C of Blue Bonnet margarine
1/2 C of shortening
1 C light brown sugar
1/2 C sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp Watkins White Vanilla
2 1/2 C flour
3 C semi-sweet chocolate chips

IMG_6227

That vanilla is key - you have to order it online unless you shop at a really high-end grocery store.  I got it on Amazon here.  I tried making the recipe with normal vanilla extract, and it did not fly with the hubby who had tasted the goodness of the real stuff.  Get the real deal.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix the margarine and the shortening very well.  (Note - I always use a plastic bag in the cup to measure shortening so I don't have to clean the cup, and I soften butter in the pre-heating oven.)

IMG_6230
IMG_6232
IMG_6233

Add sugars and continue beating until thoroughly mixed.

IMG_6236

Add eggs, soda, salt and vanilla and mix well.

IMG_6237

Stir in flour and beat until barely incorporated.

IMG_6238

This is what mine looked like before I added the chocolate chips.

IMG_6239

Fold in chocolate chips.

IMG_6240

Drop onto an ungreased cookie sheet.  I use parchment paper to make it easier to get them off and not have to clean the pan.

IMG_6241
IMG_6243

Bake for 7-9 minutes at 350 degrees.  (Some ovens may require a temp of 375.  If they look really done, it's too late!)  Remove and cool on cookie sheets for 5 minutes.  Move to cooling racks.  Devour.

IMG_6251

On another note, when I picked up Lily from childcare at Bible Study this morning, they showed me her craft and told me that she was the last one at the table, and they had to tell her that she couldn't use any more hearts.  This is a crafty girl after my own heart.

IMG_6268

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It took me almost two years to work off the 20lbs those cookies gave me. Beware!

Ellen said...

That made my heart smile to hear Lily wanting to craft so much. She is her mother's daughter... and her aunt's niece. ;)