Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Coconut Chicken Curry Recipe: Good stuff

    Today I went from activity to activity, which can be good, but also a little tiring.  One of the activities was getting to serve at a women's shelter by helping to clean the kitchen with my group from Bible Study.  It was a great chance to get out of our routine and be reminded of how amazingly blessed we are. 

Dorcas

     I like having heart checks like this that help me to see beyond myself and my little world.  While I was cooking dinner tonight, I thanked God for my (mostly) clean kitchen where I never lack for food.  What a blessing.
     Onto the curry.  A few years back, when we were in Costa Rica, (which is actually talked about years ago on this very blog, here) I fell in love with Coconut Chicken Curry, which is by no means Costa Rican.  We just happened to eat at a very good Indian restaurant there.  So I scoured All Recipes and found this recipe and modified it a bit to get what I liked.  It is a mild curry that has a hint of sweetness with large doses of flavor and a bit of heat a well, and it is largely healthy.  And Lily even ate a little bit of it.  (a very little bit)

IMG_6146

Here is the ingredient list.  (I doubled the original recipe, because I like to make more for Food Co-Op or to freeze it)

4 TB Olive Oil
2 Onions, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 pounds chopped chicken breast
1 Medium sized head of cauliflower, chopped
Dash of Yellow Curry Powder
5 TB Garam Masala (an Indian spice mix that I found at the local Indian grocer or can be purchased on Amazon here)
2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 (14 oz) cans of unsweetened coconut milk
2/3 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup lime juice
salt and pepper to taste

Here are most of the ingredients.  As you can see, I often buy off-brand and I like the easy substitutions of minced garlic and instant bouillon.  I am sure if I used better ingredients, things may taste a little better - however, I like the ease and cost of what I use and mostly, I really like the results.

IMG_6120

I always chop onions using a food processor.  I think I would say it is my favorite kitchen appliance.

Onions

One of my onions had a bonus for me.  I had a special feeling about it at the grocery store and was delighted to discover the truth.  Here is my onion and its absorbed twin.

IMG_6126

This is the size and amount of cauliflower that I used.

IMG_6133

Now, to get started cooking.  Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.  Stir in the onion, garlic, and dash of yellow curry powder and cook until tender.

IMG_6134

Mix in the chicken (which I cut with scissors) and cook 10 minutes, or until the juices run clear.

IMG_6136

Mix in the cauliflower, garam masala, brown sugar and the garlic powder into the pan.

IMG_6137

Pour in the coconut milk, lime juice, and chicken stock and season with salt and pepper to taste.  I also added a small dash of cayenne to give it a little more heat.

IMG_6139

IMG_6140

I had a bag of edamame in the freezer that I decided to toss in on a whim at the end.  I really like the way it came out.

IMG_6142

Reduce heat to low and continue cooking, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes.  Serve over rice.

I serve this with Coconut Rice, which I sort of made up.  I measure out one can of coconut milk and use water to get to the amount of liquid that I will need to go with the amount of rice I am making.  Then I add garlic powder to it, to increase the flavor a little more.  I decided that rice could absorb any liquid, and so far, I have had good results with this theory (I have also made rice with lime juice to go with a Mexican meal, yum).  I am sure there are probably better recipes out there for this, but this is what works for me.  I also serve it with a flat bread that I get at the Indian grocer as well - it makes the meal feel more authentic.

IMG_6121

Enjoy!  If you make this, please let me know if you change something up and it works great or what you think of it.

2 comments:

Stefanie said...

Looks so yummy - I want to try it out soon! I LOVE that you are blogging again. It makes my heart happy to see things you guys are up to. The Lawsons miss you!

Smith said...

Looks so yummy - I want to try it out soon! I LOVE that you are blogging again. It makes my heart happy to see things you guys are up to. The Lawsons miss you!