Sunday, July 06, 2014

PAST WEEK: HIGHS & LOWS

Summer has us in her clutches, and we are reveling in the lack of schedule and arching our backs against some of the extra warmth, with a side of craziness, that she brings.  All seasons are mixed bags, and it is always my choice whether to look on the bright side or wallow in the negatives.  Speaking of, here's a mix of our highs and lows lately.

Low: I am recalling with certainty the fact that the months between when your child turns one and when your child turns two have unique and rather difficult challenges.  There are approximately twelve of those months, and since I am on the beginning side of them with two precious little humans whom I love and adore, I am a little apprehensive as to what the rest of them hold.  Let's just say that in the past week, I have seen that both William and Violet have developed opinions and learned to throw their own little tantrums.  I am sorry to say that this is coinciding with more teeth knifing through tender baby gums with a force and violence that I know (and am told in no uncertain screams) causes a lot of pain.

Untitled
Untitled

Please include us all in your bedtime prayer routine.

High:  The girls notice and appreciate the beauty that is found around them.  They also want me to take pictures of all of it, and I am usually happy to oblige.  Exhibit A: A Magnolia flower on a bush near the library.  Gorgeous.

Untitled

High:  Summer snow cone dates with friends.

Untitled

High:  Zoo trips with friends.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

Low:  The zoo day was super hot.  Sucks the will to live right out of your soul.  That might be a bit extreme, but it's what William and Violet told me as I was putting them into their car seats after lunch.

Low:  On Wednesday evening, Violet started wheezing a bit.  Thursday morning brought a breathing treatment and a bit of relief, but by the time I had picked her up from Mother's Day Out, I realized that her breathing was going downhill.  As we picnicked at the park, I phoned the pediatrician for an appointment later that afternoon.  But, something told me that she was not doing very well, and I called the doctor's office back.  After timing her breathing with a nurse over the phone, they told me to head straight to the ER.

I quickly packed up our picnic and herded all children into the car, as Violet and I both tried to catch our breath.  It's a terrible feeling to think that your child is in trouble, and you could have really missed all the warning signs.  When we got to the ER, with John meeting me there and immediately taking charge of all other children, Violet and I were whisked back with worried expressions on staff faces and calls for the respiratory person and "Are they coming right now?"s overheard from the nurses.

I am thankful that though it was serious, they never panicked us, and began treating Violet immediately.  She was suctioned and given breathing treatments and steroids.  They pulled out a lot of fluid.  Her breathing eased up, and after about four hours of observation and continued treatments and much better breathing, they sent us home.



John was so great to take care of everyone else, and they did hang around for a while to make sure Violet was fine.  ACH has lots to entertain children and a great view of the Capitol.

Untitled

Spending an afternoon in the ER was certainly not what I had planned for that day, but it was a great reminder of all I have to be thankful for.  Several traumas came in while we were there, and watching the staff bustle around with literal life and death made me glad that we were dealing with something as fixable as wheezing.  Also - I am so glad to have John by my side forever and always.  He was in the middle of a crazy week, and he didn't hesitate for a second when I called him.

High:  The 4th of July.  I already covered all of the happy it contained.

High:  Saturday morning we headed to the library for a Project Lab with some dear CFA guests turned friends.  Bill and Mary eat at our restaurant almost daily, and they have a passion to teach kids electronics and help them find things that interest them.  They set up a bunch of equipment and let the kids go nuts with all of it to figure out how it worked.  The girls loved it, and it was neat to see Bill and Mary doing something they so clearly enjoy.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

The only disappointment the girls had was that their dog Suzie (not sure on spelling?) couldn't join us.  Thanks for sharing your passions with us, Bill and Mary!

That concludes another week in our little world.  No telling what the next one will bring!

0 comments: