Thursday, July 10, 2014

TOTALLY RANDOM THURSDAY

Here's a bit of a TRT for you, sneaking in just before Friday finds me crawling into bed.

-  Even though it is summer and laid back and whatever, I feel remarkably unaccomplished this week.  There are half-done projects and chores calling my name from every corner of this home.  And I find myself wanting to answer back things like, "Laundry! - if you could find a way to fold yourself and magically disappear into drawers and closets, that would be doing me a massive favor." or "Summer Sewing Project! - I want to add little pom poms as a bit of flare, but I also want to just be done.  I am not sure who is going to win.  Your move."

-  On our way home from MDO yesterday, Lily said, "Mom, I need reading lessons."
A bit surprised, I asked, "Why do you think that?"
L: "I need to learn to read."
Me: "Baby, Kindergarten is starting soon, and that is what you will be doing a lot of.  It's kind of the point."
L: Silence
Me: "But if you want to get started, we could do some reading lessons at home."
L: "Who is going to teach me?"
Me: "Umm.  I could teach you."
L: "Mom - you don't know how to do stuff.  We will need to get someone else."

Thanks for that vote of confidence, sweetheart.

-  William is full on crawling everywhere now.  He is pleased as punch with himself, and now there are two - always at least two - little people on the move looking for things to mangle.  Coffee tables and end tables and couches and anywhere else around 2 ft and below are no longer safe in any way from tiny wrecking hands.  Or in William's case, large man-baby wrecking hands.  He's got big paws.

-  On our date night this past Sunday night, John and I walked around after stuffing our faces with a delicious dinner at SO.  We came across this "Bagless" vacuum cleaner.

Untitled

Bagless indeed.

-  I'm working on some fun Luau cookies for early next week.  I pretty much love these hibiscus flowers in the works.

Untitled

- I've been devouring books this summer, which has been extremely enjoyable.  I am reviving my love of fiction that sometimes lays dormant when other demands choke and subdue it.  Here's a little insight into the Carol world - I have been known to read the same books over and over again.  (I could not count the number of times I have read the entire Anne of Green Gables series or Harry Potter or the Chronicles of Narnia or Pride and Prejudice, to name a few.)  There is something about the familiarity of the stories and the feelings of friendship that develop with characters I have loved for years.  This is not all bad, but it can make branching out a bit difficult.

And today, I put my finger on why it is sometimes hard for me to branch out.  I do not like being out of control, and when you read a book, you are essentially giving that author a lot of power over what you will think about.  They get to take you into their world - or whatever world they choose to write about.  And you are along for the journey.  Much of the time, I really enjoy the journey, but I have to give up the control, which is never the easiest thing for me to do.

This summer, I have managed to find all the sad books.  Or maybe its just that sad books are more popular than usual?  I don't know.  The books have been mostly excellent, and I'm thankful for the branching out.  I'm currently reading The Poisonwood Bible, and it is engaging and funny, but it keeps hinting at a coming darkness.  There is also critical subtext that underlines the story, forcing me to think more deeply.  I'm glad I'm reading it, but I am sad about the impending doom for characters I like.

- Reading all the sad books has been a good reminder that life is hard, and beautiful stories are not made out of sunshine and rainbows and unicorns and pixie dust.  Usually they are borne out of rubble and missteps and sorrow and hardships.  Growing up, I wanted my life to be paved with roses, but now - more than anything, I want God to write his beautiful story there, among the thorns that come from living on this Earth.  You will have trouble - one certain promise from scripture, but almost in the same breath God tells us to "Take heart.  I have overcome the world."

Makes me want to cry when I read it like that.  There is so much sadness always lurking.  You never have to look far.  But I can rest assured that God has overcome, and that in the end, all will be made right.

Looking forward to that day.

Also looking forward to Friday - Cow Appreciation Day.  Are you heading to CFA dressed as a Cow?  I will be herding my little cows in for an early lunch!

1 comments:

Aunt Julie said...

Carol, I love reading your blogs. I like to reread old favorites, too, although for P and P it is rewatching the various movie versions.I know your days are so full right now