Monday, March 23, 2015

CINDERELLA DAY

Sometime last week it occurred to me that we should go see Cinderella dressed as Cinderella.  I pulled out my senior prom dress when we did a Cinderella night two years ago, and the time was ripe again!  I purchased a new Cinderella dress for the girls, because ours was a bit trashed, and I also borrowed a second dress so we could all match.

Untitled
Untitled

We had a sitter for the twins that I had not yet met, and I made sure to explain that I don't dress as Cinderella for daily life.  Usually.  She graciously took pictures for us and was so sweet about the whole thing. Here's the truth: for a stretch of life I really wanted to move to Orlando and try to become a Disney Princess at Disney World.  I ended up working at CFA instead, because God knows best.  However, wearing my old prom dress and parading around a movie theater with my daughters also dressed as Cinderella is right up my alley.  It was so much fun.

Untitled
(It was also super bright!)
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

We met up with friends for the show, which always makes life better.

Untitled
Untitled

The movie was so good.  I do love the original, and this one captures the beautiful spirit but with much better costumes, more humor and more character.  I teared up throughout, because I really believe that fairy tales mirror our souls.  We often feel downtrodden and need the transformation that comes.  The transformation often does not fix everything, but it makes new things possible.  Cinderella becomes the real princess.  The prince wants her, not for her position - or even her beauty in this version - but because she is kind and good and has spirit.  It's just the kind of thing I want my girls watching.

Untitled

Now, please note that not all of our day was a fairy tale.  There were large stretches of it with someone or another crying or moaning.  When John came home after dinner and bath time (which I did know about ahead of time), I gladly bowed out of the rest of bed time and fled the house.  Sometimes we need a break.  But - I do believe our Spring Break is off to a great start!

Untitled

0 comments: