Tuesday, March 03, 2015

SING FOR ME

Every year around this time my heart yearns for spring - for the budding trees, for the warmer temperatures, for the greening grass.  But this winter seems to be marching full force into March, and we have more snow predicted for the morrow.

Untitled

Things look bleak outside.  And sometimes things feel bleak on the inside, too.  Living on Earth is painful and tiring.  Suffering crowds in as we look to the left and to the right and realize that there is no avoiding it.  There is no way over, around or under - there is only through.

Word came last week of a woman that I went on a mission trip with a few years ago who took her own life.  It's hard to fathom, really, and grief washed over me for her and her family.  She loved Jesus, and I know she's with him now. 

But - she must have been suffering so!  I didn't know her well, and I certainly don't know what led her down that road, but it must have been bad and isolating and intense.  My heart breaks for all of it. I occasionally saw her at church, and we always exchanged pleasantries and smiles and to know the undercurrent that must have been there was another wake-up call to the reality that is all around us all of the time.  People are suffering, because life is hard, and because we all are fallen.

Untitled

There are so many times when my heart hurts for something that my brain cannot fully compute.  I cannot understand the WHY.  I don't know what to pray.  I am not smart enough to sort it all out and come up with the right words.

This morning I was at my women's Bible study where we often have a brief time of worship.  Now - what you need to understand is that my singing voice leaves a lot to be desired.  I can sort of carry a tune, but that might be overstating my talents.  So this morning, I sang in my quiet little tone-deafish voice to the best of my ability.  However, the woman sitting next to me has an incredible voice.  It soared above mine, and I can only hope to sound something like it when I get to heaven.  For some portions of the songs, I stood quietly, letting the beauty of her voice wash over my heart, echoing the words she was singing inside my mind.  It's what I wish my worship could sound like.  The notes and harmonies were perfect.

This is what the Holy Spirit offers us in prayer.  "In the same way, the Spirit also helps our weakness, because we do not know what to pray for as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words;" (Romans 8:26, NASB).  I don't know how to pray or think when faced with some of the hardship around me.  I don't have to, because the Spirit Himself intercedes for me!  I can tune my heart to prayer and let his prayers wash over mine.

Untitled

I know spring will come again, and I know that suffering is not all the world contains.  There is joy and hope abundant, in Christ.  I just need the Lord to sing for me, because sometimes, I don't have the words to do it.

0 comments: