Friday, March 02, 2012

John's Channel: Bucket and Sucket Lists


We're on the third date...I mean episode, so that means we're now comfortable enough to share some of those stories from the awkward years.  The ones that we pretend to have left behind at high school graduation, but still haunt our personalities to this day.  Here it goes.

My personality is wired in a way that I do what I'm supposed to do.  I like what I'm supposed to like.   I act the way I'm supposed to act.  In spite of what it sounds like, this is not a primer for me talking about how horrible I think this is or that I have broken free from it and I'm now announcing my new career as a mime on the streets of Vegas.  The "supposed to-ers" of this world get a bad wrap because they're typically not flashy or exciting.  But to you "non-supposed to-ers," you better be glad that someone does what they are supposed to do or you'd all be scre...I'm not supposed to say that...you'd all be in a lot of trouble.

Although I'm not going to be a Vegas mime, I have found some freedom from the box I'm supposed to be in.  It has come in the form of a "Sucket List."  It was originally called my "Golf List," but a beautiful burst of creative juice splashed this new name all up in my face.  I must admit, it comes off a little more harsh than I wish it did, but it just fits.  What is the Sucket List? Glad you did or didn't ask.  (How can I tell if you asked?  If you didn't ask, simply stop reading.)  

The Sucket List is a list of all of the activities that I feel like life, social norms, friends, enemies, TV, Siri, a billboard or some stranger that feels uncomfortably comfortable with offering unsolicited advice has told me I should do, think, enjoy, or excel at.  As I freed myself from the "supposed to's" I created an actual list.  Why? So no longer would I be buried under the pressure of spending time and energy pursuing things that are not of real value, not because they are bad for someone to do, but because they are unnecessary for me to do.  I often say, I don't make enough time (future post will discuss my view on "making" versus "having" time, but that is for later) for the hobbies I like, why would I spend time doing a hobby that I don't like or that stresses me out.  Without further adieu or editorializing, here's the list that I have created so far (I started writing it down a month ago):
  • Golf (hence the reason it was origilnally called the "golf list"--golf is the title sponsor)
  • Learn to play the guitar
  • Speak Spanish (or any other language) fluently
  • Wakeboard
  • Juggle
  • Read all of the books I am "supposed" to read (you heard me Harry Potter and Le Mis)
  • Body-build, or spend any significant amount of time building my muscle mass (pictures of our family at Gulf Shores will prove I'm succeeding at this task)
  • Be on the cutting edge of technology (I'm okay being a generation behind, I'll let others work out the kinks)
  • Skeet shooting
  • Journal on any regular basis
  • Blow bubbles with gum
  • Play rugby (Jason, this won't keep me from coming and watching your games)
  • Bungee Jump
  • Grow a garden
  • Ride a unicycle
  • Become a sommelier
  • Invent anything that would warrant a patent
  • Learn to surf
  • Roll my tongue (genetic, I know, but I'm still not doing it)
  • Be awesome at photography
I've recently gotten ribbed about not having a "growth mindset." I would lovingly disagree.  I'm all about growing.  The "Sucket List" has nothing to do with not wanting to grow.  In fact, I'd argue the opposite.  I see it as pruning.  If you garden--which, thanks to my "sucket list" you know I don't, and Carol, I'm not going to go quietly into the night on this topic--you know that a plant has limited resources so you help it choose which parts it will apply those resources to.  To do that, you've go to cut out/off some of the low priority parts.  Your resources are limited.  Use them well.  How am I using my resources? (I still can't tell/care whether or not you asked.)  Here's my Bucket List in it's infancy:

  • Run a road race in a foreign country (jury is still out on whether or not Texas counts)
  • Learn to ride a motorcycle
  • Drive PCH in RV with family
  • Travel with each child to a 3rd world country so they actually have a worldview.
  • Throw a party for friends in the penthouse of a downtown building
  • Hike an Alaskan glacier
  • Sky dive somewhere beautiful--preferably New Zealand
  • Kayak on water so clear it looks like you're floating on air
  • Never miss the chance to have a conversation with a leader I respect
  • Hot air balloon ride
  • Go to an Olympic games
  • See the fall colors in the Northeast
  • Visit all 50 states
  • Take son to as many MLB stadiums as we possibly can
  • Have son (adoptional)
  • Drink fresh sangria...in Spain
  • Complete a sprint triathlon
  • Hike with each child to the top of a 14er in Colorado
  • Write a book...maybe
  • Rent a sports car for a day/week and go on a road trip
  • See a Final Four game with Carol
  • A small tattoo that no teenage child or employer could hold against me...even if I was a lifeguard
  • Be intentional about the relationships I have and the people I encounter to show them the love of Jesus
I have one life.   I have limited time, resources, energy, etc.  I want to use these well, and not use precious resources succumbing to the pressures of the unnecessary.  I often have to do things I don't want to do - that's life.  Sometimes I will even do things I don't have to or want to, but for the sake of communicating love to someone I care about...I think this means my thumb will have to turn at least a light shade of green.  What I never want is to do something I don't have to do, I don't want to do and has no value being done simply because I feel like I'm "supposed to."


(on the road, in Italy circa 2009.  One of my happy places.)

4 comments:

kristina said...

good post john. like this list idea.

but may i make a suggestion? take bungee jumping off the list and add it to your bucket list, right next to sky dive in new zealand. as the birthplace of bungee jumping, there really is no better place to do it :)

Ty said...

I can offer you access to a sportscar and a motorcycle. :)

Mike said...

I have a unicycle......and plently of leftover sleet from last time.

Kristin Murdock said...

yaaaay! see you at the southernmost point of PCH!