Monday, March 05, 2012

Weekend: Half Marathon!

      Today I feel a little hung-over from all the excitement of the weekend.  It was the weekend I had been training for and awaiting with a mixture of expectation, excitement and a teensy bit of dread.  You see, running 13.1 miles is a lot of work, and I can be a little averse to work.  But, it is finished, and it was good!
      Saturday morning, John went to the Little Rockers (where they run a mile) to work with CFA - there were lots of Cows and tons of kiddos.  The girls and I made a few nutritional treats inspired by Pinterest - one that I like much more than the other.  (in another post, I am planning on reviewing some of the healthier snack recipes I have tried)  Here's my clean-up crew.  It was necessary to clean up from the spoonful of oats that Lily tossed onto the floor.  Lily is using the dust-buster; Bella is more into eating oats off the floor.

photo


      We headed downtown to the running Expo to pick up packets and see Daddy on Saturday afternoon.  And then, Sunday, it was time for the race.  I thought I was going to get to run with a friend, but we could not find each other in the masses of people, so I ran by myself.  Which was okay - not ideal, but it turned out all right.  Most of the race was pretty great, but predictably, by mile 11 or so, I was sick of running and ready to be done.
      Here are the shots that John got of me running, one around mile 7 or 8ish, and the other right at the end.  I look like I am winning in the first picture.  And, I feel like I look dead tired in the second one, but I am trying to fake enthusiasm for a picture.

IMG_4756

IMG_4759


I developed some pretty bad blisters on both feet, and the temptation to walk was overwhelming.  I did walk a tiny bit during the 12th mile, but I picked it back up to finish strong.  Having people cheering you on all along the course, even calling you by name (since it is on your number) is so encouraging.  And, oh, it felt good to be done!  Though, it took my stomach a while to recover after the race.    
      Because we as CFA had helped sponsor the race, we had tickets to the "Perk" pavilion, so my friend, Jenn, and I got to get post-race massages.  I definitely recommend this.  We also got to load up on food, which was pretty great.  Bella really likes eating the skin of oranges - not the flesh, only the skin.

photo

Here I am with the Henrys, who drove me to the race and both ran it.  They are rock-stars.  Also, the Little Rock Marathon is known for having the largest medals in the world - I should have taken a picture of those, but ours were pretty great, too.

photo

      Now I must tell about the best part of the whole experience for me: my cheering section.  If you have ever been around John, you will know that his voice carries.  And when he uses that carrying voice to cheer you on, you instantly become a celebrity among whatever group you are running with.  John and the girls managed to see me 5 different times, and each time he cheered so enthusiastically that runners around me were in awe.  One couple said, "That is SO motivational."  Another girl ran near me and said, "You have the coolest and best husband in the world."  I 100% agree.  Thanks, John, for being so supportive and making me feel like the best runner out there, even though I am a pokey little runner.

photo

      When it was time to head home, this is how I felt.

photo

      We went out for a celebratory dinner last night with friends who also ran, which was so fun.  It was a great time, and I am so glad that I did it.  I have said it before (which you can read about in this post), if I can do this - I firmly believe anyone can do it.

13 comments:

Anne Sharp said...

Congratulations Carol. BTW- you look really skinny in those pictures! YOU are the rock star!!!

Courtney said...

I'm impressed sista! You did great! My sister did the whole marathon, did you see her out there? I'm totally impressed with everyone who did it! My friend Christy's Mom said she'd "have to be chased by wild buffalo to run a marathon (1/2 or full)" and I have to say I kind of agree with her! : ) Kuddos to you!

The Bishop's Wife said...

so proud of you. I love the section where John is cheering for you!

Lorna said...

You are AWESOME!!! And it IS pretty great to have a husband who cheers you on. Way to go!

Kristin Murdock said...

Yaaay! So proud of you and your legs look so strong and sexy!

kristina said...

yay! good for you!!

kristina said...

and i hit publish before I meant to..

so yay again!! really proud of yu for setting a goal and following through...even when you felt like walking :) good job!

Mom Spenst said...

So proud of you for sticking with the training and the run. Lots of good character building goes into those kinds of events. What a good role model you are for the girls!! Go Momma Carol!!

Maegan said...

Good job! I ran the LR 10k this year and hope to do the half next year!

Katie said...

WAY TO GO!! So awesome!!

Amber said...

Congrats on the Half thats awesome! Just curious do you have any tips for just beginning running?

Carol said...

@Amber Thanks, Amber! I can't say that I have many tips, but I will say that just like most things - it gets better the more you do it. Start slowly and don't feel bad about being slow. I always remind myself that I am out and running, which is better than sitting at home. There are a lot of programs that you can try out - like Couch to 5K that have a plan built in, which can be really helpful if you are just starting out. The best thing for me is to sign up for some kind of race - it means I am more motivated, because we have cash on the line, and I have committed to do it. Hope that helps!

Tales from Goshen said...

I am so proud of you!!!! We saw the runners on our way to church Sunday and I was really wishing I was out there! I am so proud of you!!!! And you do look fantastic!