Friday, March 09, 2012

Thankfulness

      Do you ever read the blog A Holy Experience by Ann Voskamp?  I do, and I love it.  I love the encouragement and the way she shares her simple life and relationship with the Lord.  It is a thing of beauty.  She wrote the book One Thousand Gifts about counting the blessings of the Lord in her life, and it revealed so much to me about how everything can be turned back to praise.  Every little thing in our lives depends upon our perspective of it and whether or not we choose to count it all joy.
      Will I count it joy when John is later than I expected him to be from work?  I can be thankful that he has a job, thankful that he is glad to come home, thankful that when he comes home, he loves on our girls and helps me clean up dinner - or, I can be bitter over 20 minutes and sour our entire evening.  Really, it is my choice.
      Will I be cranky when Lily is screaming and whining, again?  Though I may not like the screaming (who does?), I can be thankful that it is better than it was, thankful that the discipline we have worked at over the past year and a half is leading to a softer spirit within her, thankful that she is healthy and with me, thankful that God is using the whining to teach me how my own heart sounds to him sometimes - or, I can be frustrated and drown in it.  I have a choice.
      When I look around at all the things in life that I don't understand, the hurting, the loss, the depravity, I can wonder why God has let things become the ways that they are.  I can question his sovereignty.  Or, I can pull my head up out of the sand and look at the good.  He is good.  I can thank him for that.  I can thank him for his love and mercy that is new every morning.  I can choose to believe him when he tells us that his ways are not our ways, nor are his thoughts our thoughts.  And, I can be thankful that I know how it all will end - good triumphs over evil, and it is happening all the time, all around us.  I have a choice of whether or not I look for it.
      Oh, Lord, let me turn all things back to praise you.  Give me a thankful heart - I think it just might turn my world inside out.

0001Om

0 comments: