Monday, March 19, 2012

Weekend: Photo Session, Spring, and a Letter to My 18 Year Old Self

      The shower this weekend was fabulous, but that was not the only fabulous thing about this past weekend.  The weather could not be beat.  I mean, seriously - it was dream weather, and we enjoyed it.  Luke very graciously agreed to take Lily's 3 year old pictures, and amazingly, Lily was super cooperative.  She loves Uncle Luke.  Here are a few behind the scenes shots.

IMG_2731
IMG_2734
IMG_2743

Luke truly does an amazing job with children.  He was having her make a sad face, then a happy face and then laughing with him.  And she was doing it.  He also had to tell her to stop eating grass, but that is beside the point.  It was great to see their rapport, and I am sure he got some great shots.
      John gets Dad of the Year award, because he was in charge of little girl wrangling while we big girls did all of the shower fun.  He also helped a ton during the photo shoot, which helped Lily have even more fun.

Picnik collage
Picnik collage

Spring is in full force, and the beauty of it sometimes overwhelms me.  I love the flowering trees, though I could do without the yellow pollen all over everything.

IMG_2750
IMG_2754

Saturday night Lily seemed to be having bad dreams and was talking in her sleep, so loudly that she was waking up Bella.  In a very strange move for us, we brought Lily in to sleep with us.  Which meant we did not sleep that well, since she liked to lay perpendicularly in between us in the full size bed.  However, she was cuddly and cute, which was nice.



On Sunday morning, I went for a run through Siloam Springs, and I ran through the campus of John Brown University where I spent over six years, since we did undergrad and grad work there.  I got to run past the "Chucks" - Chicken/Ducks that wander through downtown, which made me start to reminisce about my time there.




Siloam is such a great little place, and I am so thankful to have so many memories and life events in that town.  I felt like I was getting flashbacks to my old self as I ran through a deserted Spring Break campus.   I could see little 18 year old Carol getting dropped off at the dorm my freshman year and crying a little as my parents drove away.  I saw myself making friends, having crushes, learning, growing and changing.  It was a bit strange to think that I have 12.5 years on that girl, and as I ran, I composed a letter to my past self.

      Dear Freshman in College Carol,
         Eating desserts for all of your meals will not turn out well for you.  Though you will not gain the freshman 15, you will get bronchitis by Thanksgiving, and it will not be pretty.  Staying up til 4 a.m. many nights is also not a great idea, though a great many good conversations may happen in the wee hours.  Making new friends is hard, but worth it.  The people that you share life with over the next few years will help shape your life forever.
         In two years, your life will change forever when you get the news about your dad's cancer.  It will end badly on this side of heaven, but God holds all of the answers and walks by your side.  He is forever gracious and faithful to you and will fill in the gaps.  Cling to him.  Always cling to him.
         That guy that you get a crush on who doesn't really notice you for over a year will end up being your husband.  And it will be great - not perfect, but better than you ever dreamed, because it is real.  Real is much better than perfect, because it is infused with God's grace.  You will be a stay-at-home mom, even though that is not exactly what you have planned, but you will love it.  And, you will have the cutest little girls in the world.  True story.
      with love, from future Carol

      As I write this, I wonder what future Carol would tell present Carol.  I am so thankful that God writes our stories one day at a time, because I think that is all I can really take in.  After I finished my run, I came back to the house where we were staying to find this breakfast on the table.



Staying with our dear friend, Becci, has so many advantages.  One of them being that she is an amazing cook and loves to host.  What a blessing.  So, that wraps up our weekend.  This week Mom is here with us, and we are trying to potty train Lily.  So far, there has been success with no accidents, but this is a really slow-going process here.  God is definitely using potty training to refine my patience.  Lucky me.

1 comments:

Aaron and Hollie said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that still has my twister shirt. Can't seem to part with it! :)