Monday, June 04, 2012

Adoption: A Desert Marathon

      For almost 24 hours straight this weekend, we hung out with friends - so nice when Daddy has to be out of town for the night.  A great friend and her son spent the night so we could hang out (since their daddy was with our daddy), and it is good for the soul to sit and talk and talk and talk.  Then, I headed to the doctor today to get a physical and lab work for adoption, and another dear friend kept the girls, and then we met yet another friend for lunch at CFA.  Lily thinks that anywhere we go we should be meeting our friends, and, since this has been the theme of the summer so far, makes a lot of sense.
      All the time with friends has been a good distraction for me.  I feel antsy inside.  Like I should be doing more, accomplishing more and things should be moving more quickly on this whole adoption thing.  I keep going over the paperwork and realizing that I have most of it in order and am only waiting on a few things, many of them out of my control.  I have now started bugging both our home study lady and our placing agency lady about if there is any other ball I can get rolling, just in case something, anything takes longer than it should.  Which it inevitably will.
      I just know that we will be waiting a really long time, once we start officially waiting.  So, I want to do this stuff as quickly as humanly possible.  It feels like all I can do to serve our children right now, which makes it hard when the doctor's office doesn't call you back and you have to hound them to become the squeaky wheel that gets the grease.  I managed to do just that and got in today, which was nice.  I can definitely be a squeaky wheel when necessary.
      This brings me to my comparison of adoption to a desert marathon.  That is a term that John often uses when something is hard and just seems to take longer than you think it should, like running a marathon through sand would feel like.  (not that I would ever do such a thing in real life, since that sounds several shades of miserable.)  I feel bad even whining at this point and a little stupid, since we are so very early into this process.  It feels like whining at 5 weeks pregnant that you are feeling really sick and ready to have the baby already.  I know we just have to walk through - like most things in life, there is no going around, over or under - there is only through.
      I know there will be unique challenges to each phase of this process.  The unique challenge right now is that a lot of this part rests on us getting stuff done.  I know that God will be teaching me an awful lot through this adventure, and I am starting to see that resting in him and not pressuring myself (and John) so much will be a good thing.  Resting in the Lord is always a good thing.  And, I need to give John props here - he has been enormously helpful and has already jumped through every hoop that has been placed in front of him, even while having a crazy week at work.  So thankful for that.
      So, that is where I'm at this week.  Antsy on the inside and looking to rest in the Lord.

And, because every post needs a picture, even if unrelated, here's Lily and the rhubarb from last week's pie.

IMG_4153

2 comments:

Mom Spenst said...

Carol, I will be praying that God teaches you what He wants to teach you from this adoption process.
I wish we were closer to give you all some of our rhubarb. It is in abundance in our garden! I will have to bring some with me in July.

Mark said...

Carol, I will be praying that God teaches you what He wants to teach you from this adoption process. I wish we were closer to give you all some of our rhubarb. It is in abundance in our garden! I will have to bring some with me in July.