Monday, August 18, 2014

LILY'S FIRST DAY IN THE K (FOR KINDERGARTEN)

Last night we had all of the clothes tried on and laid out.  The lunch was packed with help from Lily so that I knew she would eat everything.  I laid in bed thinking about all of the things that Lily doesn't know that I wouldn't be able to help her with.  Can she tuck in her shirt?  Does that matter much?  Can she re-zip her skirt after using the bathroom?  Who will she sit with at lunch?  Will she be able to make friends?

Untitled

The first morning of our adventure in formal education dawned a bit on the rainy side.  However, Lily's spirits were not dampened in the slightest.  She was so very excited.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

Bella wanted in a picture in her too small Little Mermaid PJs, but she did not want to smile normally. Which got me this funny pic.

Untitled

John and I walked Lily through the rain, into the school, and into her class.  She bobbed along with great enthusiasm.  When we got to her room, she sat at her table and took everything in.  Her room is adorably Dr. Seuss themed.

Untitled


After a hug and a kiss, this was my last glimpse of her before I left:

Untitled

She was quite happily putting together a puzzle and ready for us to leave.  I am so thankful that she is independent and seemingly ready for this transition.  That is how I want it to be.

That didn't stop my tears.  They flowed freely down my cheeks as John and I walked down the hall.  I was supposed to head to a "Boo-Hoo/Woo-Hoo Breakfast" for Kindergarten parents, and at that moment, all I wanted to do was go and boo-hoo in my car by myself.  I did force myself, with a little urging from my wise husband, to go into the media center full of mostly strangers.

As I walked up to the table, the tears just kept coming.  It's not exactly an ideal way to meet people and make a first impression.  I was easily the weepiest person there that I saw, which is not what I would have predicted.  Nor was it a pleasant surprise.  Other mothers kept seeing me and saying that I was going to make them start crying.

Glad I could spread some cheer.

I did pull it together a bit and manage to actually talk to some other parents.  I was glad I went, and it did take the edge off the rest of the morning.  I dove right into the fun by picking up all my littles and heading to the babies' new therapy schedule and my workout class.

The rest of the day was pretty good for me.  I did tear up any time I really dwelt on Lily's being at school, but I had some great one on one time with Bella, and I can see how beneficial that will be for us.

Untitled

I wasn't able to get Lily signed up for the bus in time for her to ride today, and pick-up time came before I knew it.  I woke up the babies and sat in my first carpool line.  I do hope that bus transportation works out soon - carpool line is not just a ton of fun with 16 month old twins - though they didn't do too badly.

Untitled

Lily was glad to see us, and my eyes filled with tears again as she got in the car.  Bless my heart.  She had a great day!  She wants to go back tomorrow!  All in all, I think it was a great success.  When asked, she told me that she figured out a way to pull down her skirt without having to un-zip it at all, and I thought to myself - she will get it all figured out eventually.  That's kind of the point.

We got home, and the girls were happy to see each other and detox with a little Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.  I'm sad that the days of everyday clothes matching for these two are over.  The end of another era.  Though - I'm sure I'll still try to match them on non-school days for as long as they enjoy it.


The babies seemed glad to have Lily home.  They were even more glad about Fruit Loops in the kitchen.



So day number one is in the books.  It sounds exhausting to do it all again tomorrow, but I know that we will get the hang of it.  I'm so thankful for a great first day.

7 comments:

Darcy Stingerie said...

Congrats on having a kindergartener!! :-) I love that lunch box!! What brand is it and where did you get it??

Lindsey @ A Dollop of My Life said...

I was wondering the same thing about the lunchbox!

Lindsey @ A Dollop of My Life said...

I'm so glad to know I am not the only one who cried during drop-off AND pick-up. He just looked so grown up running out to the van (after 50 minutes of us waiting. Lord Jesus, help us all!)

Carol Spenst said...

That lunch box is an insert I ordered through Pottery Barn Kids to go inside her PBK lunch box. So far, I really do love it!

Carol Spenst said...

I am glad that we are in the same boat! It is hard to start the letting go process!

Carol Spenst said...

I wasn't sure if you'd see the other reply - the box is in insert that goes inside her PBK lunch box. So far, I love it! It comes in several colors.

Lindsey @ A Dollop of My Life said...

yes. and a part of my heart shriveled and died this morning when I asked if he wanted me to walk him in or take him through car line and he unswervingly answered the car line. Next thing you know, I'll be stupid and don't know anything and old and outdated.