Friday, November 11, 2011

Aunt Clara's Refrigerator Rolls

      This week I started baking for Thanksgiving.  We will be spending it with my family, and I have been asked to make the rolls.  Last year, we hosted Thanksgiving at our house, and so I had to plan it out really well.  I got this recipe from my mother that can be made ahead and frozen, which I knew would work perfectly for us.  It is my Great Aunt Clara's roll recipe, and I still remember eating these as a small child.  Yummy.  It is a pretty quick and easy recipe.  I made it a couple of times this week, and I timed the last one - it took me about 15-20 minutes to do the first part and clean up from it.  Then, it has to sit in the refrigerator for two hours or overnight depending on which type of yeast you use.  Then, it takes about 5-10 minutes of hands-on time to put it into the pans.  It has to rise before you bake it, but all in all, it is not a lot of hands-on time for the pay-off of homemade rolls.

IMG_0811

Here's what you need.

IMG_0757

1 cup of Butter Flavored Crisco
3/4 cups sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup of boiling water
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup of warm water
2 packages of yeast (either Rapid Rise or regular, depending on your time-frame)
5 cups of flour

Cream the sugar, Crisco and salt together.

IMG_0758

Add the cup of boiling water, and mix until the mixture is mostly dissolved.

IMG_0760

Allow mixture to cool, and then add the beaten eggs.

IMG_0762

Dissolve your yeast into warm water and then add it to your sugar mixture.

IMG_0763
IMG_0764

Add the flour 1 cup at a time and beat it.  Fold in the last cup.

IMG_0765

Cover with melted margarine.  I cheated and used spray butter, which you may not like, but it gives good butter flavor without the hassle of melting butter.  Cover your bowl tightly and refrigerate.  It you use rapid rise yeast, it will be ready in two hours.  If you use regular yeast, it will be ready overnight.

IMG_0766


I doubled the recipe, which I would not recommend.  This is what I got after two hours.  It had risen indeed.

IMG_0774

I would recommend making batches separately instead of doubling the recipe, because of the timing issues.  The second round I baked off of this batch did not turn out very well, but the first one turned out great.  Then, I made the recipe again, without doubling, and it turned out just fine.  That is my tip - don't double it.
      After it has risen, put the rolls in the pan.  I just grabbed at it with my hands and rolled little balls of it and put it into a greased cake pan.  Let the rolls rise again in a warm place.  I turn my oven on to heat a little and then turn it off and let the rolls rise in there.

IMG_0778
IMG_0780

Then, heat the oven to 375°.  Bake the rolls for 15 minutes uncovered, and then cover with foil and bake an additional 10 minutes - for a total of 25 minutes.

IMG_0788

Bella was really excited about the rolls.

IMG_0784

Then, you have yummy rolls.  You can serve immediately, or you can do as I did and wrap them up well to freeze for a later time.  Like Thanksgiving, since it is coming up right around the corner.  Crazy!

IMG_0791

I kept the foil on them and wrapped them in Press n Seal.  Then, we will let them thaw, and throw them back in the oven at 350° til they are just warm enough for all of us.  Sounds delicious!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Yummy! Sounds great- we have a friends thanksgiving coming up this weekend, maybe I'll try this!

Thanks!

Kristin Murdock said...

It has risen indeed! haahahahah you kill me!

Lorna said...

Ooh, I might try these tomorrow and freeze them til Thursday so I have something to bring for lunch. I'm trying to avoid volunteering anything too integral to the meal, just in case I get to have a baby that day. But I just might have to try these!! (If I do, would you mind if I link up with you on my blog and share the recipe?)