Monday, November 28, 2011

Returning from a Parallel Universe and a Momentous Occasion

      Last night we returned home from our 5 day trip to Wichita.  We stayed at my mother's new house, which was delightfully comfortable - the bedroom we slept in had two giant walk-in closets that doubled as hidey-holes for our little friends who slept wonderfully in the dark, dark spaces.  We stayed up late and slept in til the girls started rousing around 8:30 each day.  We ate meals that other people prepared for us and had help with the girls.  John didn't work at all.  And neither did I, really - though my work sort of travels with us wherever we go.  I helped Laura plan for her January wedding, and John did stuff like attend a hockey game.  (side note: apparently the Wichita fans have been voted "most obnoxious" in the hockey league for the last 6 years.  It probably has something to do with the cheers.  One example: when the Wichita Thunder score, everyone cheers, and then starts pointing at the opposing team's goalie chanting "It's all your fault!  It's all your fault!" in unison, which they follow with, "You suck. You suck. You suck."  That would be a bit demoralizing, and it makes me glad that no one follows me around cheering when I screw things up.)
      John and I remarked in the car that it felt like we took a sabbatical from our lives, which is very nice while you are on the sabbatical, but there is a rude wake-up call upon returning from the parallel universe.  I have been getting that wake-up call today.  I realized that the Christmas parties we are hosting for CFA peeps are not a month away like I had imagined them, but actually next week.  How did that happen?  I am not prepared.
      On the way home, we took an ice cream break when both girls started crying.  It was a good break for everybody.  (Also, I wish we had Braum's in Little Rock.)

photo
photo


This may be TMI for some people, but we had a very momentous occasion this afternoon.  Lily got onto her little potty, and, lo and behold, something actually came out of her (only liquid, but it was a first for anything to come out).  We went immediately to Walmart and got the pony I had promised her - a little My Little Pony.  I told her to hold up the pony and smile.  This is what I got.

photo
photo

We may be on our way to being potty trained.  Or we may not.  I am not going to get too wrapped up in it all, and I promise not to buy a pony every time Lily pees.  Also, you may or may not notice that the girls are dressed the same two days in a row.  I do this when their clothes are mostly clean, and we are not doing anything particularly special.  I usually wear different clothes from day to day.
      So, we are back to life, back to reality.  But, it is Christmas reality and that is a lovely thing!

0 comments: