Wednesday, May 27, 2015

LATELY: HIGHS & LOWS

Things are settling a bit in a manner of speaking.  We are not running at a frenetic pace, and for that, I'm so grateful.  Here's a quick run down of some of our highs and lows of lately.

Low:  I mentioned in a post last week that we had another allergist appointment for Violet.  So far, the eczema is not getting dramatically better.  I will keep throwing things at that wall until it does, but it feels pretty icky right now.  Anytime Violet sees someone new, she shows them her arm and says, "Itchy."  It's pretty pitiful.  But - she is still very cute.

Untitled
Untitled

Low:  Mother's Day Out is over for the year.  I miss my few quiet mornings.

High:  In light of no MDO, we are doing more playdates with friends, which is a huge bonus.  I LOVE my friends and getting to meet up with them at the park, at the zoo or at CFA is always a nice treat.  My kids love it too.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

High:  We are slowly introducing the smaller Legos into our home, much to the big girls' delight.  Ironically, they call them "Baby Legos."  I've just gone with it.  Over Memorial Day weekend we got them Ariel's palace to put together, and they knocked it out with very little help from us.  Lily drove the project, and they were quite pleased with themselves.

Untitled

Low:  We tried to teach Lily how to ride a bike without her training wheels.  She has been begging to do this, and now that her cast is off, we decided it was the right time.  However, we displayed our novice approach when we assumed we could all head out to the park for a run/walk/bike ride and enjoy ourselves with Lily trying to learn.  Silly John and Carol.  It turned out to be a very frustrating experience.  Unfortunately, Lily has our coordination (read: very little) and was quite distractible.  We took turns working with her, but it was pretty annoying for all involved.

Untitled

It wasn't Lily's fault, because we really didn't set her up for much success.  It's funny, because I realized it's something she just has to pick up.  I cannot force her to be balanced, and I didn't have a lot of practical encouragement to offer her.

Untitled

We did come home and watch some YouTube tutorials on it and removed the pedals from her bike so that she can work on learning balance.  I know she will get it when she's ready, and now we all have better expectations.

High:  We truly did have some good meals together this past weekend.  On Friday night, we actually enjoyed eating out with our whole family, which is a rare, dare I say unique?, occurrence.  I can see that there is light at the end of this twin tunnel, and it gives me great hope.

Untitled

High:  We are nearing summer.  Lily is almost done with Kindergarten!  (#howdidthathappensoquickly #makesmewanttocryalloveragainlikeatthebeginning #butiwontmissmakinglunches #orgettingheroutthedooreverymorning)  I love being able to be outdoors more and having more time together.  Mostly, we really enjoy it.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

Did you see what I did there?  I got a little sick of writing this post and just threw most of the rest of the pictures under that last heading even though they don't really fit.  Here's the last pic - I do love how they love on each other.

Untitled

Hope your week is going well!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Carol, if it makes you feel any better about Lily's learning to ride a bike.....it's dang hard. And it does just have to suddenly "click" with them which sometimes seems as if it will never ever happen. And just when you think, "Yes! They got it!" They'll run straight into the back of your car and royally wipe out. And you cringe and stop cheering...thinking you'll now be heading to the ER, but then they'll pop up and shout, "I'm ok!" and keep right on going. In our case, it seemed like Brooklyn would NEVER get it (even at age 8, ahem...bad parent award?) while August just took off super quick. Maybe it's a boy thing...not sure. In any case, it was not nearly as easy as Kyle or I expected. But when it happened, it was super quick. Good luck! :)

Carol Spenst said...

Thanks for the solidarity, Ashley! It helps to know that we are not alone in finding it difficult. Based off of several recommendations, we got a Strider bike for her, and she is picking it up quickly! I'm hopeful that it won't be long now, but I now know to keep my expectations realistic. As usual.