Friday, May 29, 2015

WRAPPING UP KINDERGARTEN

Lily is almost finished with kindergarten.  Because of all the snow days, there is still another week + one day of school left.  We will be attending some days, but certainly not all of them, because it feels like time for summer, and they are not doing much.  We've had a delightful first year of school, for which I am incredibly grateful.  (I wrote about getting ready to start Kindergarten, meeting the teacher and the first day back in August.)

I've spent a lot of the last two days up at the school, which has been a lot of fun.  The kindergarten classes have the annual tradition of having a "Splash Down for Summer" day where a firetruck comes to spray them all down while they run around screaming.  Pretty much every kindergartner's dream.

IMG_2079
Untitled
IMG_2115
IMG_2108
Untitled
Untitled

It really was so much fun, and it finished up right before the bad weather, which was a great relief.

Today was Field Day.  I vividly remember the joy of elementary school Field Day, and going to help with my own child's was a great treat.  I signed up to volunteer, but when I checked in, they ended up not needing me in any specific place, so I got to follow Lily's class around.  This was a lot more fun for me, so I did not complain.  Herding kindergartners around is like herding whiny cats, and my respect for Lily's teacher grew as the hours went on.  They had a great day!

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

I wish that Mrs. Shearer's eyes weren't closed in that last picture, but I thought I'd post it anyway and note that she could teach kindergarten with her eyes closed.  She's just amazing, truly.  She's been teaching kindergarten at our school for 36 years, which is fairly mind-blowing.  She was so gracious and encouraging all year, even as we weren't able to get everything little thing done at home.  Lily has learned so much and most importantly to me, Lily has learned to love school this year.  I know that Mrs. Shearer was a huge part of that, and I am so thankful.

I know that not every child thrives in a mainstream school setting, but Lily has really done well.  Our approach (in theory that we are just now starting to live out) to education is to try to do what works best for each child for each year, and its really nice to have a successful first year at this formal education thing.  For now, I know this is exactly what God has for our family.

I feel emotional about the end of this year, because it closes another chapter.  It really does go as fast as everyone says it does.  It has flown by.  Makes me want to cry again, but it helps me to take note of how good it really is.  Peace out, Kindergarten - you've been good to us!

1 comments:

Lindsey @ A Dollop of My Life said...

that is AMAZING she's taught school there for 36 years!!! Our teacher has taught at our school for 23 and I thought that was a lot! ha!