Monday, January 30, 2012

Mom's Chicken Noodle Soup: Tastes Like My Childhood

      Last week, despite this being just about the balmiest January I can imagine, I made Chicken Noodle Soup for dinner.  None of us were sick, and it wasn't really cold, but it is still January, so soup sounded nice.  I called my mom to get her recipe.  Then, as I was making it, I managed to do things all wrong, though it still turned out just fine.  So, instead of step by step pictures, I am going to share the recipe and the end result.  That keeps it simple for me and less confusing for you.

Mom's Chicken Noodle Soup

IMG_1913

Here's what you need.

IMG_1898

5-6 chicken breasts (not pictured)
1 TBsp Lowry's Seasoned Salt
3 Chicken Bouillon cubes
1 TBsp Cavender's Seasoning
1 TBsp Poultry Seasoning
1/2 tsp Minced Garlic (also not pictured)  (clearly, I was not very with it this evening- I never even put it in)
4 shakes of Garlic Powder
3 shakes of Onion Powder
1 16 oz bag Large Egg Noodles
Carrots - sliced, as much as you want (I was lazy and bought canned)
Frozen Peas, as much as you want

Cover your chicken with water and add enough to have a good base of broth.  I added about 5 cups after I had covered my chicken.  Add seasonings and bring to a boil.  Boil about 45 minutes, until chicken is done.  Remove chicken, and cut it up.  OR - stick it into your Kitchen Aid and get perfectly shredded chicken for a lot less work!  Thank you, Simply Healthy Fam blog, found via Pinterest, for this brilliant, time-saving tip!

IMG_1900

Put the noodles and the carrots into the water that you just finished boiling the chicken in.  Bring it to a boil, and cook the noodles until they are done, usually about 10 minutes.  Add peas and cook for 5 to 10 more minutes.  Add your chopped up chicken back in, and your soup is finished!

IMG_1911

What I do love about this recipe is that it is very flavorful and very healthy.  And, though it takes a while to get it all cooked, it takes very little hands-on time.  I doubled the recipe - sometimes I don't think about how much it will make when I actually double something.  I completely filled this pot.

IMG_1906

But, that means I have lots to freeze for later, which works out well for us.  So - go make this Chicken Noodle Soup - it really is delicious!

1 comments:

Amanda said...

Looks yummy!