Wednesday, November 14, 2012

THANKFUL SWITCH

Having John back is so wonderful, but it hit me today, I have had a lot of time with my girlies.  There have been many moments of pure, inexplicable, inescapable drama.  And, today, I sort of hit my limit with it.  Actually, I feel myself hitting my limit with it many times a day these days.  I actually told some friends at lunch that I've had bad moments when I feel like inflicting pain on them when they are crying and whining and/or screaming or fit throwing for no reason.

Thankfully, God in his great grace to me and the girls has kept me from doing this.

After I finished out with my own whining, another friend piped up to tell me some of what I missed out on at our Bible Study yesterday.  It was about the sharing time where a mom talked about the peace God has given her in her heart with the uncertainty of her daughter's life.  From the sound of it, it pushed a lot of buttons in people's hearts yesterday.

It reminded me all over again that I always have a choice in how I see my circumstances.  There is always a "thankful switch" that I can flip in my heart that changes the way everything feels.  Seems like this time of year in this thankful season that I would remember that more easily.  But my wicked, selfish heart forgets, and I drift into self-pity with great ease.

Was it hard to have John gone for over a week?  Absolutely.  Did I do it by myself?  Absolutely not.  In fact, I had lots of help and fun.  Is this season of life busy?  Without a doubt.  Is it worth it?  My time has been filled with such richness of people and life-giving activities that I can see the Holy Spirit all around.  Are my children high-maintenance?  Most certainly, this morning in particular.  Are they healthy and happy?  Much of the time, yes - what a blessing.

I feel like this sort of post is almost a bit monotonous and expected this time of year.  It is Thanksgiving next week, after all.  But, that doesn't always mean that I have actually flipped the thankful switch.  The switch that makes me focus on the Giver of all good things, and even of the hard things that are for our good.  The switch that allows me to see the big picture instead of the annoying minutia.

Am I saved by God's grace?  Yes - what a privilege!  Am I loved by him who created the world and sustains us all?  More than I can even fathom.

Shame on me for ever thinking the truth of the gospel could be monotonous.  When I can take the focus off of me and put it on the Lord, good things flow from my heart and mind.  Why do I so easily forget?  I mean really, really easily.  The gospel is so transforming.  It can transform my heart, mind and attitude when I allow it to.

As I was asking the Lord to help me make this switch in my heart this afternoon, I looked over some of the pictures from this month.  Here are a few that I hadn't blogged yet of the people I am most thankful for in my little world.

Untitled
Untitled
IMG_1411
IMG_1413
IMG_1430

There should be more of John in there, since he is my favorite, but he has been out of the country most of the month.

So, with God's help, I am trying to flip the switch.  It's good for my heart.

2 comments:

Jeran said...

Today in my bible study we were reading about God giving Sarah a baby and that "nothing is impossible for God". I honestly thought, "you know, if He can make the whole world, give an almost 100 year old woman a baby, and help her raise this baby at that age...surely God can help me with my rough parenting moments."

I think the constant marathon parenting of stay-at-home-mommyness can be very trying. But its always the hardest things that make us grow the most.

Thanks for reminding me to be thankful for so many things.

Mom Spenst said...

Carol, We all need God to give us those frequent reminders-those daily-those moment by moment reminders. Thanks for yours. Oh and while I am at it I want to say I'm thankful for you as our daughter-in-law!!